Chapter 16

"Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?" Steve asks. "No." I reply. "But I get the feeling tonight will be my first time." He laughs at my reply before stopping proudly in front of a black Harley-Davidson.

"Wow." I say, touching the handles. "It's a really nice bike."

"Thanks." He says, going to stand on the other side of the bike. He sits in the seat and turns the motorcycle on. He turns to me and smiles. "Would you like to go for a ride Lady Freya?" He asks me formally.

Laughing, I sit on the back, and wrap my arms loosely around him. "You might want to hold on a bit tighter than that." He says. I laugh again, and hug him tighter, resting my chin on his shoulder. "Is that tight enough?" I whisper in his ear.

I see him smile. "Yup. I think that's good." We tear out of Tony's garage, the wind whipping my loose hair behind me. I smile and kiss his cheek lightly before looking around at the lights of the city that never sleeps.

I look behind me and look up, seeing the Stark Tower in its entirety. It stands a lot taller than most of the buildings here, though not as tall as the Empire State Building, I think. I've never been.

Bright lights shine all around me in the evening darkness. Off too my left, the sky over the bay is still light, while the other half of the sky, the portion over the city, is dark as a raven's wing. I hug Steve a tad bit tighter around the bends of streets, the feeling both terrifying and exhilarating. The wind carries the smell of the original old spice cologne off of Steve and back to me.

I smile. Its the original old spice cologne; just another thing I love about him. His old fashioned habits and traditions. I rest my chin back on his shoulder, and feel him shiver slightly. I struggle against the urge to laugh. The effect I have on him is hilarious, but to protect his man-pride, I'll pretend I didn't notice.

Yes Steve, I just love you that much.

He turns another bend, and pulls into a street parking slot. I get off the bike and step onto the sidewalk, feeling my pocket for my phone. I'm lucky it didn't fall out on the ride, I had forgotten to zip up my pocket.

After feeding the meter, Steve holds his hand out to me. "Shall we?" I take his hand in mine, smiling wide. "We shall."

"Hey, what did you do before you became a super soldier?" I ask, taking a bite of the shawarma. The flavor explodes on my mouth, and I hold a finger up. "Wait, pause." I say, savoring the taste on my mouth.

"Food sent from Heaven." I murmured, closing my eyes, savoring the taste on my tongue. I hear Steve laugh, and I struggle to hold back my own laughter as I chew, and keep my eyes squeezed shut.

"I know. Its unexpectedly good, isn't it?" I nod and open my eyes. "And the best part?" I ask him rhethorically.

"Its Avengers approved!" We burst out laughing, Steve's face in his hands as I lean over the table laughing, remembering the story Steve told me about after their great battle in New York the first time Loki tried to take over the world.

"Okay, okay. But I really do want to know. What did you do before you were Captain America?" I ask him. "Well, I was kind of an artist. Sort of. I just... I don't know, drew stuff I guess." He says, calming down enough to get that much out.

"Really?" I ask, mildly surprised. "You have to show me sometime, draw me something." I say. He smiles and nods. "You got it."

"But how about you? What did you do back on Asgard?" He asks. I sigh, and lean back in my chair.

I smile sadly. "Its a story much too long for tonight, but basically, after my father died, Odin took my sister and I in, and we became the adopted princesses of Asgard." I say.

Steve looks at me, wide eyed. "Really?" He asked. I smile, nodding. "Yeah. While there, I got really close to Lady Sif and the Warriors Three and Thor. I only saw Loki some of the time, not enough to know him very well. I do know that he and Maggie got along just fine though."

Steve nodded, and greatfully decided not to press the matter. "Are you done? Or do you want more?" He asked after I finished off my shwarma.

I shook my head. "No, I'm fine. Why? Are we going someplace else?" He smiled, nodding. "I had hoped so, yes."

"Then if you're done and I'm done, what are we waiting for?" I ask, standing. He laughed. "The check." He signaled for the waiteress, a black haired, blue eyed teenager wearing a black uniform.

"Can we get the check please?" Steve asked politely.

The teen stopped, and looked from Steve to me, back to Steve, then back to me. "No way!" She exclaimed. "You guys can't be Captain America and Lady Burn, can you?" She asked.

Steve glanced at me worriedly. I smiled at the teen, shifting in my seat to look at her. "Oh, don't I wish. That chick's got some cool powers! Pyrokinetic powers would be pretty cool, wouldn't they?"

"Oh, so you're not Captain America and Lady Burn?" She asked, looking somewhat embarressed. "No, but getting pegged as Lady Burn certainly made my day a lot better than it already was." I replied, trying to put her at ease.

She nodded, smiling sheepishly. "Do you ship them?" She asked.

"Uh, ship them?" I asked, unsure. "Yeah, on twitter they have a whole discussion about those two. Its trending, actually. Though we haven't seen any of the Avengers since they were last spotted running around Perth a little over a month ago."

I winced inwardly, but kept a smile on my face. "Can you, um, show me this.. Trend?" Please be the correct term, please please please!

"Sure!" She replied brightly. Oh, thank Odin for my great guessing skills!

She pulls out her phone and brings up the twitter app within seconds. I don't even understand how people can do that so fast.

"See? Captain Burn. Pretty creative huh? I mean, Lady America is pretty cool too, but it seems more feminine, you know? Captain Burn makes it sounds more equal, like they're both literal equals in their relationship, right? If they even had one, anyway. You know, everyone would like that. If Captain America and Lady Burn got together. They'd make a pretty good couple."

"I agree." I say softly, looking at the screen in interest. I look back up at the excited teenager, smiling. "Well thats really cool. But I think we've gotta be going soon, so if you could bring the check over, that would be great."

"Oh, yeah, sure!" She said, turning on his heel and walking away.

I can't believe people were... shipping.... Steve and I. That, in my opinion, was great. I mean, I'd like to be in a relationship with Steve, but....

I glanced at him, only to find he was already looking at me. I smile and blushed deeply, before being saved by the upbeat teen, who puts the check on the table. Steve immediately reaches for it, flashing me a grin. I smile back, rolling my eyes mockingly.

He puts a twenty and a five inside the black check holder. "The rest is your tip." Steve says, standing.

"Thanks! Good night guys!" The upbeat teen says, walking away, clutching the cheek holder like her life depended on it, smile wide.

"You must have given her a pretty big tip." I say as I get on the back of Steve's motorcycle.

"It was only 8 dollars." Steve says nonchalantly.

I laugh as he starts the engine, and we're once again sailing down the streets of New York, the wind in my hair and the smell of original old spice cologne filling my nose.