Chapter 2

The wind pounded sand against the body that lay crumpled on the ground. The clothing was in shreds barely holding onto the Soul Reaper's beaten and bloodied frame. Eyes fluttering open they ached, red from crying and harsh treatment inflicted by her captors. Ellie tried to move, crying out from the unbearable pain that shot through her. Las Noches was nowhere in sight and she knew they left the officer to die.

Becoming more aware of the surroundings the flashbacks began; being forcibly taken by the ex-Captains as a hostage when they defected to Hueco Mundo, Ellie thought the motivation behind the kidnapping was to acquire her well-known medical abilities in the Fourth Division and on the field. But the young woman had been so wrong as the three forced themselves on her in the cruelest ways possible. She did not know for how long it lasted the pain causing the girl's broken body to go numb and lifeless. When they had had their fun the self-proclaimed Lord ordered Gin to take the Soul Reaper into the desert in her barely conscious state. Just the pain from being lifted off the floor caused the young woman to black out.

Ellie sobbed from the memory finding it impossible to stop though both lungs and shoulders ached. Unable to do anything else she screamed in agony, rage, and self-hatred. If only she had been stronger, not a weak Fourth Division member then the young woman could've fought them off. Something caught the rays of the sun, gleaming and drawing her attention. Shakily, Ellie reached out gripping the hilt of the zanpakuto. The contact alone offered comfort and helped her think straight. Staying out in the desert was dangerous and no matter how much it hurt the Soul Reaper needed to move.

She started off slow, rolling onto a side, carefully tucking in both legs, pulling the zanpakuto closer and sticking the sheath into the sand, and shakily stood. The young woman gritted her teeth the whole time trying not to cry out. Ellie wobbled, hunching over the object to stay up. Taking a deep breath she placed a hand over her abdomen sending healing pulses of Spiritual Pressure towards the internal wounds and strained muscles. The process did not last long needing energy for the long walk, but it was enough managing to take a step forward.

There was something in the far distance that did not look like Las Noches moving towards the rocky grey structure. It was slow going, but eventually, the Soul Reaper approached the narrow opening in the cliff watching as the path sloped down. Just barely she could see something venturing inside to find some sort of cover. Light dimming the further she walked in the officer tripped painfully tumbling down the path before rolling to a halt.

Ellie groaned moving the dark mess of hair from her face and gripping the zanpakuto again. A cry filled the air, causing the young woman to freeze. Immediately, she dropped her Pressure cautiously looking around. The ground was covered in sand and a silvery quartz substance, where in some areas sprouted into trees extending towards the surface that was made out of compacted sand. A Menos Grande stalked through the area and the Soul Reaper did not dare to move.

It was a whole herd of them, clearly over looking Ellie and moving further inside. The young woman did not know what do to. Sure the sky was never changing, the moon constantly hanging in the air. But the temperature was dropping and staying outside she would freeze to death. Yet staying in here there was a possibility of being discovered if not killed by a Hollow. Their class did not matter, the Soul Reaper possessed no ability to fight. If she could find a cut out in a tree Ellie could safely rest and try to regain her lost power. But in all honestly she was damaged and recovering... was that even an option?

Minutes of discreetly moving through the forest she found what she was looking for. Scoping out the area Ellie moved forward once deeming it safe. Curling in on herself, the Soul Reaper shrunk into the shadows before closing her eyes.