Chapter 8

Dedicated to Divine_Boss_KK.

We waited for him to respond to the surgery. After a while,we noticed a weak pulse which gave us a very faint glimmer of hope. I could feel anxiety, fear, sadness and desperation all rolled together. Suddenly, the pulse stopped and his chest which had been rising and falling stopped moving and we could no longer hear him breathe. After unsuccessfully  attempting to revive him, I pronounced him dead.
I blinked back the tears as I tried to remain professional and control my feelings. I walked out slowly, washed my hands and left.
I went to my desk and sat with teary eyes.

Ewurama walked in and moved toward me. She put her arms around me and moved towards me and stroked my back gently. I was too sad to care about who was stroking me. When she was done and about to leave, she kissed me on the cheek and I used my hand to clean that area.
At the cafeteria, I had my food in front of me but wasn't really eating.
''Are you okay?'' Kwansima asked, looking concerned.
''Er, I'm fine.''I responded.
''No you're not.......................... You don't look like the normal Kwesi; cheerful, lively..........''
''Okay, er, the guy died during the surgery.'' I replied.''Sooorry.''She said softly as she used her finger to poke my cheeks. I forced a smile and she hugged me.
Later in the evening, we were at the Medical Staff Club and were chatting as we ate and some swam in the pool. I sipped a milk shake as I watched Kwansima walk toward the counter. The aroma of roasting khebabs from the barbecue drifted to my location. After a while, flashes of lightning ripped through the impregnable sky as the sound of distant thunder rolled. The trees swayed as the wind blew strongly across  the compound.
Candles flickered and went out as Kwansima came to stand near me. I put my hands around her and held her close with her head rested on my chest.
''Oh, I get it!''Derrick said.''What?'' I asked.
''You're trying to comfort her so she'll feel safe. Then you'll take credit for being the strong, fearless boyfriend.'' He replied
''Ah yes! I think its true.'' Joojo said.
Gosh! What sort of evil friends do I have. They want to ruin my day eh? Abasem (what's up) ah? I wondered. Kwansima looked up at me and smiled as they kept on looking at us.
''Don't worry. Your secret is safe with us.''Derrick said.
''You let me catch you. You'll see.''I muttered under my breath.
''What?'' I asked as they kept on looking at us. ''We're just sharing this awkward moment with you.'' Joojo answered.
We all burst into laughter though Kwansima had been giggling since they began. It was as if she had planned the whole thing. I saw Ewurama leave and noticed how withdrawn she had been . The sound of drizzling rain as it hit the roof together with the trees rustling in the wind sounded musical. As it started to rain, I thought;

Ewurama, jealousy kills. Now you're about to get soaked. I won't be shocked if you cannot report to work tomorrow. Hmmmmmmmmmm