9: Sheer Cold

Chapter 9

Sheer Force and Sheer Cold

The final criminal stepped up and removed his hood. As suspected, he was a tall, skinny man, slightly older looking than Scarecrow. He had sharp, piercing blue eyes, and a full head of pointy white hair. "I don't go by any nickname." he said in a chilling tone. "Just call me Tomeo."

"Tomeo, huh?" Ging stepped up onto the platform. "The name's Ging Freecss, the next best hunter in the world."

"Really?" said Tomeo. "That's cute. But to be the best hunter, you need to be better than all other hunters, no?" Tomeo grinned. "That means you'll have to be better than me."

"Than you? You can't be a hunter, you're a criminal!" Ging said.

"The hunter association works under a set of Hunter Commandments." Tomeo said. "One of them states that a hunter's license can never be revoked. Even if you're sent to jail. The hunter's association isn't a crime-fighting corporation. For all they care, any given hunter can go and become a terrorist. They don't care." Tomeo smirked. "Loyal hunters are nothing more than pawns. If they grow to dislike us, they can do nothing, but the loyal ones are manipulated by an old man in an office."

"Yeah, right." Ging said. "I don't care about the specifics of being a hunter. I just wanna kick your ass and pass the exam!"

Tomeo frowned. "Kick... My ass? I see how it is." Tomeo's body was enveloped in a terrifying blue aura. He made a devilish grin. "Aren't you the slightest bit interested as to how I controlled the child within Mecha?"

"Well, sure, I guess." Ging said, taking an offensive stance.

"Nen categories aren't as black and white as it sounds." he said. "It can be explained with a hexagonal diagram. Each of the six corners represents one of the six categories. The two categories on either side of your own are at your disposal, as well. For example, an emitter can use reinforcement and conjuring techniques as well, although they will not be nearly as powerful as their emission techniques. On top of that, out of the two available categories, you will lean one way more than the other. For example, say Mr. Emitter leans towards reinforcement, not conjuring. His emission is at 100%. Reinforcement is 80%. Conjuring is 60%. Transmution, right by reinforcement, is about 40%. Manipulation is 20%.

"This brings us to specialization. No one has any power in specialization unless you yourself are a specialist. So, reinforcers, emitters, and transmuters have 0% for specialization. However- it is possible to become a specialist later on in life. Because of the way aura flows through the body, it's more likely to happen for a conjurer or manipulator than anyone else. That is why conjurers and manipulators have 1% for specialization."

"Cool." Ging said impatiently. "Can we fight now."

"Of course, but let me tell you this last thing." Tomeo said. "I'm a transmuter. I lean towards manipulation, so my manipulation is 80%. 80% of my power is enough to control one single boy, so that's how it was done. My reinforcement is 60%, conjuring at 40%, and emission at 20%. My specialization is at 0%. Although," Tomeo waved his hands in the air, "don't you find this quite special?"

An icy fog surrounded Tomeo. Icicles grew from the ceiling, which was suddenly much colder than before, even with such hot lights. Snow began to fall from the ceiling and accumulate on the floor. A colossal sword, made of ice, appeared in Tomeo's hand.

"Want to know what's so special about my name?" Tomeo asked. "You can still pronounce it while you freeze to death."

"I thought he was a transmuter." Ging said. "Why can I see his powers?"

"He's playing mind games!" Scarecrow said. "He wants you to think that this is conjuring, which can be seen by the naked eye. That would mean all of this power is only 20%. But the truth is, most of what you see is an illusion! He's using his manipulation."