4: Challenges

Chapter 4

The Chambers Of Challenges

Three young men, who we know fairly well at this point, stood in a very large room full of many other young men and women. They stood in the colossal lobby of a grand hotel rented out for use in the 267th hunter examination. Everyone was given numbered tags based on their arrival times. Ging: 365. Wdwune: 366. List: 367.

The other people in the lobby seemed very different from the ones that Ging had encountered on the ship. Very few people had weapons. All of them seemed very serious, and clearly had something backing up their confidence.

"Yeah, that's right!" someone yelled. "Stupid Rookie Destroyer! People like you don't deserve to live! All you do is make it harder for other people to live!"

The one yelling was a young man, a bit older than Wdwune's age, and therefore significantly older than Ging. He had a mess of blonde hair under a straw hat. He wore torn clothing, and had a long piece of straw sticking out of his mouth. He looked like a stereotypical farming-type of person. He wore a plastic badge labeled 65.

Before him was another young man. This one had a badge labeled 11. He was trying to scream. He couldn't due to the long fibers of wheat growing out of his mouth, nose, ears, and eye sockets. Blood poured out of these openings, soaking the plants, and making the floor slippery with blood. 11 slipped on his own blood, and squirmed on the floor, making muffled screaming noises while his face and insides were consumed by wheat crops. 65 began to laugh.

Wdwune and List were clearly scared and disgusted. Ging stood unaffected.

"Things like this are gonna happen." Ging said. "Probably to one of us. People are dying before the exam even started. It's a sign that we should be efficient and make allies with the strong before we end up like him, rather than standing around and holding in vomit."

"Yes..." List mumbled. "Yes, you are right." List followed Ging into the large crowd, walking towards 65.

"W-wait! Don't leave me!" Wdwune shouted. "B-but wait, you're getting closer?! Th-then never mind! I'm not following you whack jobs!"

Ging and List approached 65. "Yo." Ging said.

"Hello, 365. 367." 65 said. "Is there an issue?"

"Yeah." Ging said. "Did you do that to him?" He motioned towards the man consumed by wheat plants, who was now dead.

"Well, yes. You know who he was, right?" 65 asked. "He's a Rookie Destroyer. These people pick on first-timers, just like you. They do everything to make sure that the rookies fail. A lot of times, that means advancing to the final stage, but even then, many quit just so they can take it the next year and ruin it for new rookies."

"Wow." Ging said. He kicked the body. "Dick."

"G-Ging-san!" List stammered. "Is it wise to abuse the dead?!"

"Clam it, List." Ging said. "I know what I'm doing.

"Ging and List..." 65 said. "365 and 367. Probably the two of some of the youngest people here, huh?"

"You haven't been too open." Ging said. "What you're name, cowboy?"

"I have a lot of names," 65 said, "but I prefer to go by my nickname. My friends call me Scarecrow."

"Scarecrow?" asked List. "That is unusual."

"Well, don't you think List is pretty unusual, too? Even for a nickname?" Scarecrow said.

"Hey, bastard!" Ging yelled. "I insulted him about that a good time ago, and that's the name his folks gave him! On top of that, they didn't speak English, so who the hell knows what List was originally meant to mean?!"