Part Twenty

Part Twenty

Isobel was walking through the village, as part of her determination to stay fit and mobile, despite her steadily developing cumbersome physique, when she heard a voice calling her. Spinning around she smiled, before being embraced in a bear hug by Michael. Finally he stepped back, holding her at arm’s length.

                “Wow! You look absolutely divine!” He was always so dramatic as he rubbed her belly affectionately. “Fit to pop, but sooooooo healthy.”

                “So what are you doing outside of your business in the middle of a working day? I thought you were busier than Piccadilly Circus.”

He smiled, “we are. I’m recruiting more staff as we speak. Actually I’ve been to view some new premises. We’ve outgrown the current kitchen, so I’ve been to look at some places out of town. If this pays off, I’ll be settling with you the full amount in the next few weeks.”

She nodded slowly, for her it was the end of an era, but she had to shelve her sadness and feel happy for Michael. This was his dream now.

                “That’s great Michael.” She accompanied the words with a beaming smile.

He hugged her again, “I’m just hoping that you’re not too sad? I mean...”

                “It was my dream too?” she stopped to lay a hand over her stomach, “dreams change Michael, and I wouldn’t change where I am.”

                “Really?” He grinned again, “that’s so good. Would you and Marc like to come out to dinner with Gary and me? Maybe one night next week? We haven’t seen each other properly for ages, I miss telling you all my problems.”

She smiled, “that sounds perfect. I’m glad to hear that things are going well for you two.”

He raised his eyebrows theatrically, “that is an understatement...” he dropped to a stage whisper, “he’s moving in!”

Isobel hugged him in excitement and promised they would definitely come around for dinner.

She collected the children from school and they were making the trip home on foot, much to the younger two’s disdain, they were both complaining of feeling tired after what was apparently a taxing day in school. It was only a mile or so back to the house, and she was bribing them with promises to keep them quiet. They were halfway home when Marc pulled up. He’d told her he wasn’t concerned about anything after Richard’s call, but she had started to notice that he was turning up whenever she was alone. She knew he was worried, so she beamed a confident smile and they all piled into the car, then chastised him for ruining their exercise the rest of the trip.

Marc had taken some time off, so once the children were in school the next day, Isobel dragged him to various local shopping centres. She was keen to complete the nursery. She was tired and wanted to relax and not have to think about anything too taxing, and she felt as though her productive time was running out.

Fortunately he agreed with all her choices, which was exactly what her hormones needed! Mr Edwards had already painted the room next to theirs, there was just the really cute animal border that she’d found to put up, cot to construct and the new clothes to hang in the new wardrobe.

                “Stop!” she announced as they drove home to collect the children. “Pictures!”

He swung the car to the side of the road then turned to her incredulous, “really! I nearly wrote off the car for a picture?”

She laughed, “Mortimer, Samuel Mortimer. I was in school with him. I called him and said we’d stop by. He’s a painter...”

                “Will tomorrow do?” he looked at his watch. “We’ve only got an hour.”