In other news

We are about to begin reading Lord of the Flies by Golding. I saw the last half of the movie, but that's all I know.

Before we begin reading next week, Teacher gave us a discussion sheet.

"Answer the questions and then we'll talk. You have 20 minutes- go!"

The questions were generic.

"Can someone be born evil or do they learn to be evil?"

"Can someone be all good or all evil?"

"Give an example of a good character you know about."

"Give an example of a bad character you know about."

"There is no side to take on this. All people grow to learn what is considered good and bad (in their respective cultures, of course). It depends on the person how much good or bad they let show."

On the back of the paper, we had to write "Agree" or "Disagree" in regards to the statement provided. (more generic subjects; ex. "Good leaders have moral integrity", "All wars can be prevented", etc., etc.).

The one that stuck out to me was: "Mankind is the cruelest of beasts. We hurt each other without caring that the other person is in pain. When a cat kills a mouse, it does not know that it is causing the mouse pain. The cat is just acting on its instincts."

"Mankind is the cruelest of beasts."

"Although we are capable of intelligence more so than other species, we are still animals. We are animals first and intelligent beings second. Mankind tends to forget this."

We forget we are just human.