High School

They said high school would be quite a change from middle school. I must admit they were right- but the change they described was not the change I was expecting.

I am 14 (almost 15!) years old. I am a freshman in high school. I am straightedge. I am growing up in a culture I never thought I'd find myself in. I am growing up in a school full of drugs, alcohol, and promiscuity.  I am growing up in a place I have no want for nor need of.

School was supposed to be a place where I could feel happy and accepted. It was supposed to be a place where I could make new friends and get inspired by my teachers. Instead, it is a place where I feel alienated by the rest of the nearly 3,000 others that make up the student population. It is a place where the faculty & staff witness students breaking several school rules at once in the hallway and let them off with a simple "Don't do it again...", brushing off the witnessed actions simply as teenagers just being normal teenagers.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

...normal teenagers do not cut class.

Normal teenagers do not have sex in the stairwells at school.

Normal teenagers do not steal alcohol from their parents.

Normal teenagers do not fill a water bottle with vodka and pretend it is water.

Normal teenagers do not sneak off of campus to get high.

Normal teenagers do not sneak off to the nearest bathroom to get high.

Normal teenagers do not come to school inebriated.

Normal teenagers do not bring vaporizers to school to smoke in the middle of class.

Normal teenagers do not bring hookah pens or cigarettes to smoke during lunch.

Normal teenagers do not smoke blunts on the bus.

Normal teenagers do not bring condoms, alcohol, or drugs to school.

But I guess that's why they call it high school.