Chapter 46 - Hollow Shell

Start from the beginning

"I never told anyone," I said. "Not even Cass. Then how..."

I gave Daniel a sharp look.

"I have my sources," he shrugged in response. "Can we please go in? I really don't have much time and I've got a lot to say. I swear I'm not going to hurt any one of you. Just please, let me just talk once."

"Talk once?" Asher demanded. "I'm not letting a stranger in for talking about God knows what."

Asher literally spoke my mind.

"This is important, you-" Daniel stopped himself, shooting a glare at Asher. "I apologise for that. Do you know who I am?"

"Daniel Winston," Asher answered. "You just told us that."

"And thank you for remembering it," Daniel forced a smile. "I'm the CEO that is, Chief Executive Officer, in case you didn't know, of Empereus."

Holy mother of God. He can't possibly be telling the truth. The biggest, the most richest and prosperous software company of all time.

Maybe he's trying to fool me, just like Asher did, all those months ago. But his attire and looks said otherwise.

He has to be joking.

"I fooled her with that once," Asher spoke after a few seconds. "You can't fool me because I've already done that to someone else."

"I'm not joking, kidding or just playing around," Daniel replied. "I'm completely and utterly serious. Here, take a look at this."

He took out a business card, I'm guessing, from his front pocket and held it steadily in front of our eyes.

I took a long look at it.

We just stared at him. If he was who he claimed he was, then this must be some big shit.

Or all this could still just be a hoax.

"So, may I come in?" Daniel asked politely.

I looked at Asher, waiting for some sort of reply (considering I didn't have any of my own), but his eyes held just as much as confusion that mine did. He scanned Daniel for a few seconds, then turning back to me with a small, but doubtful, shrug. He then mouthed something over. He seemed to be saying 'It won't hurt to listen'.

He glanced at Daniel one last time before turning back to me.

"Alright, but you do anything weird, I'm calling the police," Asher answered, as he moved aside to let the stranger into my abode.