Chapter 9- Omfg Dad

[No One]

Laura came over 15 minutes late because she had to talk to tell her dad she'd be gone. Which led them into a small conversation.

When Laura knocked instead of Carmilla answering it was a much older looking guy. Into his 40s probably maybe 50s.

"Hello. You are?" The man greeted happily.

"Uh-I'm Laura Hollis. I'm from across the street. Is Carmilla here?" Laura asked awkwardly.

[Laura]

"Oh, you're the girl Carmilla is so head over heels for?" He asked cocking is eyebrow and I felt my face heat up. Did he really just say that? Is that actually true?

"Dad!" Carmilla yelled and a book came flying from the stairs hitting the door frame.

"Oh she didn't know?!" Her dad said worried at a mistake he made.

"Stop talking!" She yelled trying to shut up his rambling.

I stood there staring at the two who were yelling at each other over answering the door and talking to people who ask for her.

"So is she not the girl Mattie says you're intrigued by?" Her dad spoke and I just stared staying out of a book throwing range. Maybe I should back up 50 more ft then.

"No! Wait! I mean...." Carmilla started but then closed the door holding up a finger at me telling me to wait a second.

I heard muffled voices for a couple minutes and for some reason was interested in the carving of the wood of the door. Jeez I never knew there was a scratch there before.

After a minute or two the door was opened again by a drained looking Carmilla.

"Sorry about him. He's a bit....weird." She said with a sigh.

"He seems nice." I say trying to lighten the mood for her.

"You didn't uh hear anything. Did you?" She asked. Her eyebrow cocking just like her fathers.

"Not when you closed the door." I admitted truthfully but played it off with a laugh. I don't want Carmilla embarrassed.

"Oh." She said.

"Are you okay? Do you want to hang out another night? You seem tired." I asked concerned. She seemed more broody than usual.

Her head shot up to look me in the eyes causing me some surprise.

"No! I'm fine. Come in." She said opening the door more for me to come in.

"Are you sure?" I asked concerned. I wonder if I am the girl that her dad was talking about though. Does Carmilla actually like me? Would that mean that LaFontaine was right?

        "More than sure." She flashed a grin closing the door behind me.

    "Is it alright if we hang out up in my room for awhile? Will is outside in the yard and Mattie stole the library along with Mother."  Carmilla asked.

        "Yeah, totally." I said with a smile.

   "Okay." She said leading the way to her room as I followed. So maybe my eyes lingered a bit longer than they should have on her hips, especially another part when we walked up the stairs.

     When we made it to her room I couldn't help my smile. The style of it fit her, also I remember seeing this room so bare and empty. I liked seeing it full.

           "So, enjoying the house?" I ask standing awkwardly.

    "Better than most places." She answered with a shrug.

        "That's good." I say not knowing what to say next.

   "Sooo, your dad?" I question hoping she'll address what he said.

         "He's a weirdo." She said going through a bookcase.

    "I guess. So, you're interested in me?" I question putting emphasis on interested.

      Making my way slowly over to her as she looks through books. I swear I see her freeze up for a moment.

          "You're an interesting person, a lot of people are." She said.

    I can't help the frown.

     "So who is it that you have a crush on? Your dad made it really clear you have one." I laugh trying to make it sound like I TOTALLY didn't wish it was me.

         "Wouldn't you like to know." She muttered even though I'm right next to her.

    "Pretty much." I say as I see her still going through the many books of hers.

         "So how's you and Xena?" She asked.

    "It's fine. She hasn't really done anything too annoying." I say shrugging.

        "Hello Hollis." Mattie came in with a stride.

    "Carmilla, you can't just throw books at father." Mattie said giving attention to Carmilla.

      "He was asking for it." She said turning around crossing her arms.

    "Just because he told the neighbor girl about your little interest in her doesn't mean you throw books at him." Mattie scolded and a book came flying at Mattie now.

       Mattie just moved casually.

   "You really want to try that with me little sis?" She laughed with a challenging grin.

        "Shut up! Why can no one in this family shut up about my obvious crush on the girl right in my room when she's right here?!" Carmilla yelled exasperated.

     My eyes widened and I saw Carmilla's face turn to horror. Mattie though smirked happily.

        "Including yourself?" She laughed wickedly walking out of the room closing the door.

    It was quiet for a couple moments.

   "Sooo.." I trail off awkwardly. I mean I would be embarrassed too if I did that too.

         I look over and Carmilla just looks well... frozen. She just stared at a wall with a twitch in her one eye.

    I move in front of here and wave my hand. Nothing.

         "Okay. I'm going to go over to my house and I will talk to you tomorrow." I say with the raise of my eyebrow at her odd behavior.

I carefully watch Carmilla in case she moves or reacts to me leaving but instead she is completely and utterly frozen. Statue-like.

I walk out completely confused by that behavior but also maybe a little happy that Carmilla definitely likes me back.