II

Ruby scrunched her eyebrow as she stared at her mother's package she was supposed to pick up from the blacksmith. It was clothed which hid its details but its humongous size was definitely unexpected.

"What are you staring for?"

"Are you sure this is the right package, Mr. Blacksmith?" Ruby asked, tilting her head.

"I did what I was told," The blacksmith replied with a dull voice.

"My mother is a gardener, not a butcher,"

"Just take it," the blacksmith lightly threw the package at Ruby, however the small girl's arms dropped as soon as she grabbed hold of the large package.

Ruby huffed as she carried groceries on one hand and the stupidly heavy package on the other. Her legs felt like they could give away any moment. For 14 years she had walked on this path that lead her to her home. 14 years of living with her mother, and the absence of a father.

She'd wonder where he went all these years. It would have been nice if he were around, but life was already good. It's best of she forgot about him, because every time Ruby brought the topic on her father, her mother would look as of she were deprived of oxygen. After that, Ruby's mother would weep silently when her daughter wasn't around. Whether divorced or widowed, Ruby's mother certainly missed him very much. For the sake of her mother, Ruby kept the topic of her father to herself.

Ruby's tracks were stopped when she heard a window break, her mother's shriek, and most importantly, an animalistic growl. She ran frantically to her house. When she kicked the door open, she saw a wolf assaulting her mother.

"Mom!" She shouted. The wolf adverted it's attention from the girl to Ruby. Tears pricked from the young girl's eyes as the animal bared its teeth.

"Ruby! Open the package!" Her mother shouted. Ripping the cloth, a blade gleamed by the light that touched it. As the wolf pounced towards her, Ruby didn't have any time to think as she swung the unclothed package down. The humongous curved blade of the package cleaved through the wolf's skull, thus shattering it. The wolf's limp body fell to the ground as Ruby's dress was stained with blood.

At that moment, adrenaline rushed through her body.