Alpha Female

Emma

I remember running into that basement. I remember seeing that hybrid... I even remember fighting him with everything that I had in me. After he'd almost killed Nathan... I just saw red. An anger like no other had overtaken me, and I couldn't stop it. Not that I wanted to. Of all the supernatural horrors I've killed over the years, in my eyes, this one deserved it the most. The most disappointing part though?

I didn't get to kill him. 

When I was about to initiate a killing blow he just... upped and left, moving faster than wind through trees. Part of me had been tempted to kill him, but when I turned to Nathan, slumped against the wall, near death, I'd knelt beside him,, using everything in me to bring him back. 

I chanted. Oh, I'd chanted until my throat was raw and practically bleeding from overuse. I'd traced symbols over and over, so much so, that they'd all started to blur into one. I didn't even acknowledge the warm trickle of blood down my face. 

And it was only when his eyes opened and his now strong arms wrapped around me that I stopped and relinquished myself into fatigue and unconsciousness. The only thing that comforted me was that he was now safe. He was alive and safe, and no one could hurt him. 

As I drifted farther and farther into the depths of darkness, a figure- blurry at first, but constantly sharpening with every passing moment- stood ahead of me. At first, I didn't recognise him. how could I have? I hadn't seen him in years! Not since I was six. And even then... my last memory of him was that of a mauled corpse. 

But, as he turns around to face me, I see that's not the only reason why he looks so different. For instance, I'd remember if my father had blue flecked eyes and hair. Just like me. 

"Emma," he whispers as he sees me. 

My knees tremble and tears well in my eyes. "Dad?"

He nods. 

I run up to him and wrap my arms around him. There are so many things I want to say to him. Too many. I want to tell him that I loved him. I want to ask him why he didn't tell me he was a Witch, like me. I want to know if he knew I was one too. But all that melts away as he whispers something in my ear. Something that makes my blood run cold, first with shock, and then with anger. 

"Draven killed me."

I pull away form my father and stare at him. "Why?" is all I can ask. 

He sighs. "Our bloodline, Em, is very powerful. We are one of three witch bloodlines that flow with pure, undiluted, energy. Draven thought that by killing me and drinking my blood, he would gain that power. What he didn't know was that it's only passes down through the female line."

I continue to stare at him dumbly. 

"That means, Emma, that you have it. That's why magic comes so easily to you, and it's also why Draven, having realised his mistake years later, has come after you and your mate now."

"You're joking, right? I mean, you can't be serious!"

"But I am. Look, I know I haven't been with you physically, but I've always been watching you Emma. And I can't tell you enough how proud I am to call you my daughter. But, Draven will return for you, and when he does, you need to be able to protect yourself, your mate, and your pack. Do you understand? A lot of lives are depending on you."

"W-what? No! I... I can't handle that kind of responsibility, Dad. If you've been watching me all my life, then you'd know that something bad happens to everyone close to you."

"... and that each of these unfortunate accidents were not your fault. You didn't make someone like Draven kill me, he chose to do that himself. You didn't make your friend move away, she was sick, there was nothing you could have done. Just like it wasn't your fault that Nathan was kidnapped. That was also Draven's choice, not yours." He put his hand on my chin and tilted my head up to his. "You just need to be strong Emma..."

And then he was gone. 

Already, I could feel the darkness lifting, like fog in the morning sun. Once it had truly left me, I opened my eyes to find myself in a large bedroom covered in action movie posters. The desk was covered in paper and books. The floor was littered with scrunched up balls of paper. 

All in all, it was an absolute mess. 

And I was lying on my side in a very warm bed staring at it. But as to where it was, I had no idea. 

I had no idea what was going on in the slightest. The last thing I remembered was being in that basement with Nathan... quickly whipping around, I discover Nathan sleeping beside me, his arms wrapped around my waist. He wakes with a start and sees me. 

"Emma...?"

I smile down at him. "Duh, who else wakes up looking this good?"

He grins, and, without even hesitating or asking for permission, he leans forward and kisses me. 

And I kiss him. Why not? It's what I want to do. It's why I saved him. Because, somewhere deep down within me is the beginnings of love. 

When he finally pulls away, we just lay there and smile at each other, like soppy fools. 

Slowly though, his smile fades into a more serious expression. 

"Draven killed... Draven killed my Dad."

I stare at him, more shocked them ever. Draven had killed his Dad? That lovely man who would have laid down his life for his son?

"W-why?"

He shook his head. "I don't know. I just... I just found him there, and now I-" He bursts into tears and clutches me to his chest. I feel my own eyes water with tears as I hug him back, listening to his sad, despaired sobs. 

He's lost everything now. He's lost his father, and his mother. 

Not everyone, I remind myself. 

Right, because he has me. And that's all I can think about as I hold him close and tell him that it's alright. It's ok to be upset. He has every right to cry. 

In response, he holds me more tightly. 

I don't know how long we stay like that, but it feels like a long time. Eventually, he runs out of tears to cry. We sit up, and he tries to hide his red eyes, but I gently take his hand and hold it to my chest. 

"Don't hide your vulnerabilities from me, show me. There should be no secrets between us."

"But... aren't you annoyed at the fact that I'm so upset, that I can't let go?"

I smile sadly and shake my head. "No, I like that your sweet and sensitive, and I know that with time, you'll recover. For now though, you have every right to grieve. I did when I lost my father, so why shouldn't you?"

He nods and kisses me again. "And you know that I'll lean on you for support from time to time?"

I laugh. "I would be annoyed if you didn't. I like feeling as though I can support you when you need me."

I feel him smile. "Good."

***

We remained like that for another few hours, just talking in small quantities and enjoying each others presence. He told me that since his father had died, he was now the Alpha of the pack, and I was the Alpha female, the Luna. He'd wanted to know if I was ok with that, and you know what? After everything I've been through, being the Luna of a pack didn't sound so bad. Of course... I'd have to tell Mum something...

When I'd told him this, he'd immediately sat up and lead me through the pack house, into a little sitting room where two people, who'd been previously sitting, sat up. An older woman, and a little boy. 

My eyes widened. "Mum? Danny?"