The Birds

I stepped into the gas station's garage. It was dark and quiet. The place was a mess. It looked like someone trashed the place, or that there'd been some kind of fight. Light spilled into the room through an open door at the back, and I made my way toward it.

Without any warning, I was blinded by a bright light. An old portable TV on the shelf had come alive by itself. Impossibly, I could see myself on the screen, talking like a madman... I hope i didn't run into that crazy psycho fucker again. Or am I the one that's going crazy here? I don't know just yet.

At first I kept finding the pages as if by accident. The book I couldn't remember was either a terrible and true prophecy, or an act of creation that had rewritten the world. I began to hunt the pages, feverishly, for they held the answer to the mystery.

With it I could save myself.

With it I could save Alice.

I cautiously exit through the garages back door, and headed down a path that coincidentally led me to a house, a cabin to be exact.

I heard them before I saw them, swooping down from the sky and screeching as they came.

I spun around and almost tripped over my feet just as the cloud was upon me. For an instant, I stared into a hundred dead eyes, black pearls glittering in the darkness.

I raised the flashlight and the swarm exploded like fireworks. Feathers burned, turned into ash. I couldn't hear my scream above theirs.