Chapter 16 - Sleepless Dreams

Chapter 16

            Getting to sleep took a bit of time, my bed held the same comfort as before just the atmosphere had changed.  I tossed and turned for hours even though I was physically exhausted.  I watched hours of reruns until my eyelids felt heavy and I felt myself slipping into slumber.

            I am back in the car.  Robert is lying on my chest and my fingers are stroking his hair.  He looks at me and kisses my nose.

            I sit like an empty shell as I felt myself go through a déjà vu.

            I emerge from his grasp and run full tilt forward into the field.  I can feel myself screaming for help but the only sound that comes is a few croaks.  Robert’s hand comes down hard on my shoulder.  His grip tightens and he pulls me down onto the grass.  He pushes hard against my shoulder blades, trying to make me disappear into the earth.  His face is red in anger, his hair is wet with sweat as it falls into his eyes.  His eyes grow big and fixated on my face.  I try to make out the reflection in his eyes but it is to dark for me to see anything.

            He presses his knees into my chest and holds my head between his hands.  He brings his face close to mine and very slowly articulates his thoughts to me, “You are not going to tell anyone…NO ONE.”

            I feel myself shaking my head back and forth.  My hair falling in my eyes, finding its way into my mouth and choking my breathes.  Tears stream down my face, running into my ears, blurring my vision.  Feelings of despair and hopelessness wash over me.

            I rise up started in my bed.  My body is tense and alert, my heart thuds in my ears.  My bed sheets are wet and my hair stuck to the back of my neck in damp strands.  I swing my legs over the side of the bed and catch my breathe.