Chapter 22

***Aleana POV***

I feel a strange feeling flow through me, one of content and happiness as the anger dissipates. I gasp as if taking a breath after a long time and that is when I notice that Aragorn was kissing me, his lips light and feather-like on mine.

He pulls away and looks down at me, a smile gracing his features and relief flooding his eyes.

"What happened," I ask, utterly confused as to why I didn't even remember Aragorn kissing me.

"Everything is alright now," he whispers and I look over his shoulder to see Frodo was alive. I pull away from Aragorn and look to smile at Frodo, moving towards him. But my steps falter when I realize the look in all their eyes as they looked at me. It was fear.

I turn back towards Aragorn, confused, when I notice the troll laying on the floor, my blackened arrow sticking out of it's forehead. My eyes widen at the condition he was in and tears spring to my eyes as I realize I had done that. I had given into the darkness.

Someone places a hand on my shoulder and I look to see father looking down at me, lovingly but with sadness.

"Ta nauva alright amin hin [It will be alright my child " he whispers to me in Elvish and I let the tears fall.

"Mani caela amin done [what have I done,]" I ask.

"Nothien tanya can il- be undone, ile must vora a'fight [nothing that cannot be undone, you must continue to fight,]" father assures me, "ten' sii' lye must kela [for now we must leave]."

I nod and he takes my hand, turning to the others.

"Do not fear her, she was merely protecting you. She is of no danger to you and I will not allow you to make her feel as if she is," father says sternly and Aragorn takes my hand from his, giving it a reassuring squeeze and not letting go.

"Now get up," father shouts, "to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum!"

***Aragorn POV***

We head after Gandalf, running through the huge Dwarrowdelf chamber, score of goblins scurrying after us. I do not let go of Aleana's hand as I see the despair still etched on her face, hating Sauron even more for playing with her mind.

We come to a stop as Goblins come towards us from every direction and I push Aleana behind me, holding my sword in front.

Suddenly a deafening roar rings through the hall and the goblins freeze. I see a huge shadow rise across the hall, surrounded by flame and the goblins run away in fear. The ground shakes and another roar rings across to us.

"What is this new devilry," Boromir asks.

"A Balrog," Gandalf answers, "a demon of the ancient world! This foe is beyond any of you! Run! Quickly!"

"Boromir," I yell as we run towards the stairway of Khazad-dum and he turns to me. I push Aleana towards him, and he understands, taking her hand and running down the stairs.

I look back to see Gandalf leaning heavily on his staff. I move to him concerned.

"Lead them on Aragorn! The bridge is near," he says and I hesitate, "do as I say; swords are no more use here. And Aragorn, look after my daughter. Protect her with your love."

I look to him confused but then nod before turning and following the others down the stairs. I could feel Gandalf behind me as we ran down the dizzying staircases.

Suddenly, a portion of the staircase before us crumbles down to the ground, leaving a gaping chasm. Legolas jumps across easily, followed by Gandalf, Boromir, and Merry and Pippin.

More of the rocks fall away and we move back, the chasm widening. Aleana runs forth and my heart is in my throat, but she makes it across easily. I turn to Gimli to toss him.

"Nobody tosses a dwarf," he runs and barely makes it as Legolas helps him up by his beard on the other side. Frodo and I move forward to jump, but suddenly the rocks crumble below us and we have to move back. The chasm now too wide.

The staircase below us begins to fall and I try to steady myself and Frodo. I hear a cry of pain and I look up to see Aleana clutching her head in pain on the other side while Boromir held her trying to comfort her. She just shook her head side to side as if saying no.

"Lean forward Aragorn," Legolas screams and I do so, the staircase moving forward and crashing into the other side. Frodo and I jump off. Immediately I move to Aleana, taking her hand and she looks up at me in fear and pain.

"You are alright," I say confidently, "let's go."

We turn and run down the rest of the stairs and into a second chamber. I see the bridge and Gandalf ushers us towards it.

"Over the bridge! Fly," he yells and we run over the bridge. I turn around and see Gandalf had not made it over, as he pauses in the middle of the bridge, facing the Balrog.

I feel Aleana clutch my arm tightly as she looks at her father, but she doesn't try to run towards him. Perhaps she was afraid that with her battle in her mind, she would cause only more harm to him. It could also be that she completely trusted he would be okay.

"You cannot pass," he screams. I hear Frodo yell his name but Gandalf looks to the Balrog. The Balrog steps on the bridge and draws up to his full height, bringing down his sword on Gandalf. Gandalf blocks the hit with his own sword, causing the Balrog's sword to shatter. 

"You shall not pass," he booms and brings down his staff on the bridge and when the Balrog takes another step, the bridge breaks underneath his feet and he falls to his doom. Gandalf slowly turns towards us and I hear Aleana sigh in relief. I look to her and see her looking at her father with a smile, but suddenly it falls and I look to see what has happened. 

As the Balrog falls, he lashes out with his whip and manages to curl it around Gandalf's knee, dragging him over the brink. Gandalf manages to hang on by his fingertips.

"FATHER," Aleana tries to rush forward, but the look in Gandalf's eyes has me throwing my arm around her waist, refusing to let her run forth. She struggles against my grip, kicking her feet and pushing at my hand. Gandalf looks at us fierce. 

"Fly, you fools," and then he lets go his grip, falling.

"NO," Aleana struggles and struggles as we look on shocked. Boromir rushes the others out while I pull Aleana out as well, tumbling out of the gate on to a grassy sunlit hillside. I let go of Aleana and she falls to her knees, her eyes full of shock and pain, lost as if unable to understand what had just passed, but no tear falls as she looks down at the grass before her. I look to see Sam, Merry, and Pippin fall slowly to the ground, sobbing. I turn to Legolas, noticing he seems lost, not comprehending the loss he was feeling.

"Legolas, get them up," I say urgently. 

"Give them a moment," Boromir exclaims, "for pity's sake!"

"By nightfall these hills will be swarming with Orcs," I say, "we must reach the woods of Lothlorien. Come Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, get them up. On your feet, Frodo."

I pull Frodo to his feet as the others get to their feet as well. I look to see where I had left Aleana, but panic when I don't see her. Quickly I turn around and see her standing a ways off, watching a moth fly by her and off into the distant.

"Aleana? Aleana," I call and she turns slowly, meeting my eyes. There is a look of numb shock on her face and I know she was devastated, but she doesn't cry. Instead she looks away, drawing the hood over her head. She starts heading down the path without another glance back and I am unable to find the strength to walk beside her as we follow behind quietly. 

A/n: Gandalf's death always kills me even though I know he isn't really dead. Literally cried while writing this. I had to change the part where he calls out to Aleana instead of Frodo for the sake of the story. Also did you like how I incorporated Gandalf's moth into that? Hope you like it!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!