Part 2: Having Sedation - The Alternative View

Now, from my first account you'd probably think I would ask them to 'go in dry' on any future occasions too. The fact is less than a year later, a very thorough doctor at another hospital decided she wanted to send me for a second colonoscopy. I'll be honest, I think she almost back-tracked when she saw my immediate expression of sheer terror. However, I assured her I was fine with it, if she thought it would help.

Now the first experience was at Macclesfield Hospital. The second was at Leighton Hospital in Crewe. Of the two experiences, I would say Leighton Hospital's was better! Not that Macclesfield was bad or you should avoid it, but Leighton was better and I'll explain why through this account. I'll sum up the reasons at the end for clarity.

The first difference between the two experiences was Leighton do a pre-procedure check appointment on a separate day. This meant going into the treatment centre, filling out some forms, having blood pressure etc.  Checked and spending about an hour talking to a very kindly middle-aged nurse about 'Big Dogs'. She claimed to have always had big dogs and grew up with Irish Wolfhounds but had Afghans now. She suggested Irish Wolfhounds were good for families, but that Afghans simply weren't. 

That was the easy part. I reported back for the procedure a few days later. I won't go into a lengthy reportage of using movicol. I've already done that. It's nasty stuff, but it does the job. 

When I got there I sat and read while I waited. 'Farthest Shore by Ursula Le Guin' [Review here:- https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1785799355] 

Eventually a group of about six patients were called through to the next area. We all took seats and I was pulled into a side room first, being told I was 'top of the list'. Lucky me!

The nurse who called me in took blood pressure, pulse, blood oxygen and temperature. At this point I'd already decided I'd have sedation. For three reasons really, firstly because I felt like I'd been mugged after the last one. Secondly because last time I wrecked my Jaguar X-Type driving through deep water too quickly and I partly blame the Entonox and thirdly because I wanted to experience it, so I knew for future procedures which NEEDED sedation what to expect. 

This decision, meant it was time to be fitted with a cannula. Last time I had cannula fitted, I had it in the back of my hand. On this occasion, after her giving my veins a thorough inspection she decided she wanted to go for the inside of the elbow. I can appreciate the choice, I have huge, easy to hit veins there, however I thought the hand was better for access and comfort. I did question the decision, but she assured me my right elbow pit vein was best and I didn't argue. The fitting of the cannula wasn't painful. It involved stretching my arm out on a pillow and relaxing it. I prefer to look away when staff are doing 'medical things' to me generally. I find it helps. It's probably purely psychological, but I find not seeing what is being done to me, reduces my anxiety.  Anyway, a sharp scratch and a bit sticky tape and BOOM! I'm cannula'd. Next up the time-honoured tradition of 'gowning up'.

I was taken to a room full of gowns and told to change. I'd brought a dressing gown from home so wore that. Once changed I took a seat in a waiting room and was quickly joined by other patients having various endoscopic procedures. I have to say, I felt sorry for the cytoscopy patients. That does NOT sound fun! One of the guys having that had had it before, seemed to think it was horrific the first time, but it would be easier with modern, more slim-line equipment. On his way out he did quickly confirm that it'd been much better.

Despite being 'top of the list' a few went in before me, but I think they were having various other procedures. I think I was about third or fourth? I'm certain I was the first colonoscopy patient, in ways it was a shame to go as there was a bit of good banter going on in the waiting room. When the nurse DID come for me, one of the other chaps waiting shouted. 'Have fun!', to which the nurse smiled and replied rather ominously. 'Oh, we will.'