Chapter 21

(Y/n) could barely pull her eyes open from her long slumber. She had went to bed early the night before in hopes of sleeping off a headache, but today she just seemed to get worst.
The girl stretched out her arms and yawned before pushing herself up to sit. She rarely ever slept through the whole night and the extra hours left her feeling groggy. She rubbed her eyes and checked the time, 12:57pm. She groaned and fell back onto the mattress.
"Ugh I don't wanna get up" she mumbled before rolling herself off the bed. It felt like the earth's gravity was much stronger that usual. She pulled herself up to stand before tiredly heading out of her room.

"You look pitiful.." Kuro said as he noticed the girl exiting her room.
She stopped and leaned against the wall. Her exhausted face seemed annoyed, "thanks for noticing" she said bluntly before moving slowly to the living room.
"Feeling any better..?" He asked as he watch gravity pull her down to the couch.
"Not really..." she mumbled. She could feel her condition worsening now that she was awake. Her head still hurt but now her whole body ached as well and she couldn't seem to shake her exhaustion.
The vampire furrowed his brows seeing her in the state she was in. She slept for a time much longer than he had seen and she looked as if she was in pain. Concerned, he sat up and reached over to the girl to place his hand on her forehead.
(Y/n) opened her eyes squinting at the vampire, "what are you doing..?"
"You're hot." He said pulling his hand away.
"Thanks" she joked in her tired voice.
He was taken off guard for a second by her comment but quickly regained his composure, "Not like that, idiot" he huffed before standing up and walking away to the kitchen.
The girl traced his path with her eyes before he left her field of view. She groaned before forcing herself to stand up. "What? Where are you going?" She called out, slightly dazed from standing up too quickly.

She rushed and followed him to the kitchen. Once she stopped she immediately felt dizzy and leaned on the counter next to him, she was already regretting getting up as she felt her stomach turn.
"(y/n). Quit running around. You're sick aren't you?" He said as he grabbed a wash cloth and took it to the sink to cover it in cold water.
She sighed seeing the concern in his expression, "I'm fine, Kuro, don't worry about it..."
In truth she really wasn't but she knew she could get over it by herself. All the years she spent alone she had always had to take care of things by herself. So even now when Kuro is here she didn't want him involved. He didn't need to be bothered by her problems.
The vampire glanced over to her, "you don't look fine." He huffed before wringing out the cloth and approaching her.
"Kuro-"
The girl yelped interrupting herself as the vampire didn't hesitate to pick her up and carry her back to the living room.
"I'm fine, really." She protested as he gently placed her back on the couch. The girl pushed herself up to sit and opened her mouth to speak.
She was cut off by the vampire lifting her hand off the couch and holding it in his. She took a second to regain her balance but was still stunned and confused by his actions.
"Your skin is burning and you're shaking..." he spoke calmly however his tone completely took her off guard. It sounded almost as if he was mad at her.
The girl sighed and she looked down to her hand. Without him stabilizing it it was weak and trembled as she moved it. She sighed and lowered herself back to the couch with a defeated look on her face. "Fine..." she grumbled.
The vampire gently brushed the girl's hair from her face and placed the cool cloth over her.

Once he finished he sat down on the floor next to the girl with a sigh. It was disheartening for him to see her like this. She hid her problems as much as she could but he could still tell she wasn't doing well. He could only imagine what she felt like.
She too let out a sigh and covered her face with her arm. She had to admit, the cold from the cloth was soothing. She opened her eyes seeing the concerned vampire next to her. The sad look on his face made her laugh for some reason.
"You've been a lot more caring recently..." she stated.
He looked up to her with a glare although her comment confused him. Was he really changing that much? "...yeah well you obviously don't know your own limits.." he muttered in defense.
"If I limited myself I wouldn't have been able to live on my own as long as I have..." She mumbled, her half-smile disappearing.
Kuro sat up slightly, looking at her with a confused face. "But you're suffering aren't you..?"
"Yeah but I'm just sick, not dying" she said. "It's not like it matters anyways.." she shrugged.
"Why wouldn't it matter..?" He asked as a genuine question.
"I don't know, it just doesn't... Like I said, it's not like I'm about to die or anything.." She said before closing her eyes again. She let out a tired sigh, "You don't need to worry about me, it's stupid..."
He frowned slightly and laid his head back onto the couch. He knew she was capable of taking care of herself, but it was impossible for him to not worry. He knew she'd keep lying to him so she wouldn't be a problem but even if she told him she was fine he couldn't argue with what he saw in front of him. He could see the pain in (y/n)'s expression and hear her whimper as the breathed. It made his undetermined feelings for her grow, he couldn't help his concern. He didn't want anything to happen to her.
"(Y/n)..."
"Hm..?" She hummed, she kept her eyes shut but acknowledged him to show that she was listening.
He stopped, realizing that he had no idea what he was wanting to say. He had called out her name not having a conversation in mind. With a sigh he turned from her slightly, "never mind..."
The girl just barely opened her eyes to see him. He looked sad all of the sudden. She slowly pulled her arm away from her face and brought her hand to brush through the vampire's hair.
He tilted his head up to meet her weak gaze. She continued to pet him and shot him a small but genuine smile. He felt comfort from her expression, it was as if her smile was a way of saying 'it's okay'. It cleared all his confused thoughts as well as his concerns for the girl.
Seeing the vampire's expression return to normal, the girl lowered her hand and shifted slightly so she could relax. She sighed letting her exhaustion take over her.

~

When (y/n) opened her eyes again she felt a sense of relief wash over her. She stretched out and rolled onto her stomach noticing that it had gotten dark outside. She glanced down seeing Kuro still resting beside her. He looked as if he hadn't moved from beside her even once and the girl would've assumed so is there wasn't a blanket over her and a bag of chips on the table.
All of her motion awoke the vampire. He lifted his head slowly and looked up to see the girl pushing herself up from the couch to stretch. "Oh my god..." she mumbled.
"Are you okay?" Kuro asked.
"Yeah I think" she sighed letting herself fall onto the couch. She wasn't in nearly as much discomfort as she was before.
The vampire let out a sigh in relief at the girl's words.
"I can't remember the last time someone took care of me when I was sick..." she said under her breath as she too let out a sigh in relief.
"I'm glad you're okay..." Kuro mumbled.
The girl turned to him and smiled before pulling him into a comforting hug. "Aw, look at you all caring again~" she joked. "Sorry you had to put up with me but thanks.."
"..It was nothing..." he replied.
"No, really. I'm sorry for making you-"
"(Y/n)" Kuro said, interrupting her. He pulled away from her embrace for a moment to meet her eyes. "You didn't make me do anything..."

She looked at him trying to find anything that would show that he wasn't being sincere but there was nothing. She didn't know what it was like to have someone who wanted to help her, who wanted to keep her safe and healthy. She didn't know how to react either. If it wasn't for Kuro, her recovery would have been much worse. Come to think of it, there were several instances where the servamp had kept her from harm.
Now that she thought about it, if she were making Kuro do things like that he would've had an attitude about it or just wouldn't have done anything at all. But Kuro was taking care of her and he kept her safe. He tried to keep her happy too. The vampire did this all out of his own will. He truly cared about her.

"...Thank you, Kuro.." she sighed before tightening her arms around him again. She still couldn't believe that there was someone in her life who actually cared about her.
This time the vampire returned her embrace with his own warmth. He was happy to see the girl returning to normal. "Your welcome..."

________________________
I wrote this chapter 3 different times and this is still pretty bad oops