Chapter 5: Haru (Sun)

Song: Yoshida Brothers - Fuyu no Sakura

Theo hated not telling Ricky the truth but he had to do whatever was necessary to protect his family.

"Theo, I have no idea what possessed me to go along with this idea," Hazel said starting to doubt herself.

Theo wanted to go back to New York and talk to Leah. He was tired of waiting around for her. She already knew where they were so it would be a matter of time before she came for him and his family.

"You know you are the only backup, I've got right now Hazel. We have to keep Ricky and the boys safe." Theo said looking out the window of Hazel's car.

They were driving to the airport to catch a flight to New York. Theo was dreading the little over six-hour flight. But that was better than facing Shadow and his old crew. But he was tough, this had been his life once upon a time. He would do whatever needed to be done.

Theo had told Ricky he was going for a firefighters training convention. It had been tough convincing her that she couldn't come with him, worst of all he had to lie about where the training was. It was going to be tough keeping the lie up though. She had already started getting suspicious when Hazel announced she was also going out of town for a while. Theo knew it was wrong but he had to do what was best for them. It was nerve-wracking leaving the comfort and safety of Edgartown he had now grown accustomed too.

"You know I will do anything to keep you guys safe, but you're on your own once Ricky finds out that you lied," Hazel said chuckling. Theo nodded knowing exactly the wrath he would have to face once Ricky found out.

"That's if I come out of there alive..." Theo muttered to himself quietly.

******

"Get my daughter on the line now!"
Kenji Sakurai shouted. He had no idea what was wrong with her. She was running wild and rampage on the streets of New York creating chaos. That was not how they operated, how they did things. She would draw unnecessary attention to them. Give them heat they didn't need.

"Right away sir..." His assistant said back to him through the intercom in his office. There was a little static and a crackling sound before his office was silent again. His office was decorated in deep burgundy and golds. Japanese ornaments carefully placed around the room to reveal his heritage.

Kenji stood up and went over to his large glass window that had a view of the entire city. The city was flooded with lights bright and twinkling. You could never see stars clearly here though. The lights were too bright and the pollution. He longed for the days at the monastery where they were all safe especially his daughters. He looked on at his black robe that hung in his office. It had been a while since he wore it. The last time he did was with his daughter.

Kenji preferred to work at night fewer interruptions and destructions. What was taking his assistant so long Kenji thought. He needed to talk to his daughter immediately.

Right on cue, his assistant came rushing into his office. She had been the only one to answer his ad for a night assistant. She had been nervous during the interview but once he did a background check on her she had passed and was perfect for the job. She needed the money therefore she didn't ask questions and just did her job.

"Mr. Kenji...your daughter refuses to speak to you..." His assistant said nervously. She had a khaki folder in her hand. One of Kenji's men had just dropped it off.

Kenji hadn't really expected his daughter to answer his call. Ever since the death of Angelique, she was like a dog with a bone. Chasing after unnecessary ghosts. That was not how the Yamaguchi-Gumi operated. Leah was letting her thirst for revenge cloud her vision.