The Fox and The Wolf

A/N: Throughout the beginning of this short story, there are some parts incorporated by AUSTIN_LUVER along with my stuff too. If you have read the chapter, you'll know what parts were hers' and what parts are mine. Hope you enjoy!! (And beware of typos! =)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Recap:

"Avery? What's wrong?" Jake asked me as he came out of the bathroom in inly his pajama pants.

I climbed into the bed and sighed. "I'm still shocked that I met my dad today."

He smiled and came to sit next to me. "It was really cool when you punched him."

I laughed. "Of course you would enjoy that part."

He pulled me closer to him. "Now what's really on your mind?"

"Nothing." I said playing with his fingers in my lap.

"Avery." He warned.

I sighed again. "It's just....I feel like it's my fault that he left us."

"It's not though." He tried to say.

I shook my head. "No. It is. My mom told myself and Lilly the real reason he left."

Jake pulled me even closer and kissed my temple. "Avery. There is no possible way this is your fault."

I pulled myself from his grip and stood up. "Yes it is. It's because I'm a damn girl. I'm the reason he left."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jake takes hold of my chin and forces me to look at him as he speaks.

"This isn't your fault! Despite what you may think, it's that assholes own fault that he couldn't see what an amazing, beautiful, intelligent, sarcastic, caring, devious, confident, perfectly capable daughter he was missing out on."

Between each adjective, Jake gave me a peck on either of cheek to dry my tears away.

I nod, but look away from him.

"Avery," he says gently. "You are perfect. This isn't your fault, or Lilly's, or your mom's. This is HIS fault."

"But Jake. He wanted a son and-"

Jake silenced me with a kiss. "You are perfect just the way you are and this isn't your fault."

"But-"

I give a sniff, and shake off his words. "You're only trying to make me feel better. You're my mate, you have to say this."

Jake growls and pulls me onto his lap. "Don't even say that. I know you're confused and hurting and you only want to get past this, but that doesn't give you an excuse to doubt my affections for you. I love you. And I would love you even if we didn't have our mate bond. I love your sarcasm, your sass, your spunk, your courage, your compassion, your fire, your fox...." he adds seductively for good measures while nipping at my ear making me squirm with need on his lap and a helpless purr escape my lips.

'Really Red?'

'Hey, I can't help it. Plus, I'm with him on this one! What happened was totally not your fault, and you need to start believing that. Believing us.'

'Oh please,' I think rolling my eyes. 'You just don't want Jake to stop with his teasing touches and compliments.'

I thought she wasn't go to respond, but then she spoke up.

'Of course I want this to continue. And if you haven't noticed, your current position is causing quite the stir in him.' she adds and I could just imagine her winking at me.