Chapter 74 : Year 4

The picture of Lainey and Draco for this chapter was made by another Quotev reader.

Lyle,

This is the fourteenth letter I've attempted to send to you since the beginning of November, over a month ago. As I've mentioned in every other letter, I'm relieved to hear that you do not have the ability of our mother for reasons that I will explain when we meet next. I would also like to TRY to inform you for the fourteenth time that Melody cheated on you with that blond-haired git, Draco Malfoy. Yes, she only did it to spite me, but that doesn't change the fact that she's a soulless pile of bones. Get over her, please.

Also, as I've mentioned in all of my other letters, please don't reply with anything personal or "secret." If you don't want the Ministry of Magic to know all of the Fitzroys' DEEP DARK SECRETS, or even your mushy feeling about that blasted Melody Flemming, then don't write to me about them. We will be having a serious chat over winter break, which I am eagerly awaiting, but until then we must be VAGUE.

Oh, and Umbridge—you fat toad—if you're reading this, which I assume you are, I hope this piece of parchment spontaneously combusts and you burn—I won't say "to death" because that could be considered a serious death threat, but I think you're aware of how I feel about your survival.

Can't wait to see you over the holidays, Ly; I miss you boys so much. I've decided I'm not going to get into any more trouble here, and I'd advise you three to do the same.

Love you,
Lainey

When I found this letter in my hands again on the morning of December 17th, I immediately crumbled it into a ball before proceeding to rip it into miniscule specks of confetti.

"Blimey, Lay," Ryan Harper blurted as he stared wide-eyed at the mountain of shredded parchment that lay on the table between us. "Angry, are you?"

"Just a bit," I grumbled before brushing the useless pile of scraps onto the Great Hall's floor. "This is the fourteenth letter I've sent to Lyle that's been returned." I paused, turning my aggravated attention to Dev, who was nibbling on Anderson's food. "Dev, I insisted that you deliver this letter—"

My owl cut me off by squawking angrily and attempting to jab at my hand with his beak.

"Dev—stop it—" I grunted, trying to shoo him away. "Is Umbridge more intimidating than me? Does she threaten you more than I do? Because I have sworn to you that I will have Melody murder you if you do not deliver these letters—"

"I never agreed to that," Melody droned from where she read next to Harper across the Slytherin table.

"It's too late now anyway," Astoria sighed hollowly, not bothering to glance up at me as she continued to paint her nails on my left. "You've already destroyed the letter."

"Just like you've destroyed the last thirteen," Anderson piped in as he began to chew on the piece of toast that Dev had eaten a corner off of. "How do you know Umbridge is the one stopping your letters anyway? Seems more likely to me that Melody's paying your bird not to send them so her Muggle boyfriend won't find out she's been snogging Malfoy—"

"I haven't been snogging Malfoy," Melody drawled as her eyes slowly rose from her book. "Fitzroy has."

"Yeah, well then you've been snogging me," Anderson began with his eyebrows furrowed in mild confusion, "or Harper—or me in Harper's body—or—"

"She cheated on her Muggle boyfriend, and that's all that matters," Harper chimed in gleefully. "And now, that they're broken up, I finally have a chance again—"