²⁰ | m e t a n o i a

Start from the beginning

"They lay siege to us because they do not understand. My king, and princes of all clans, I ask you forgive me for speaking out of turn, but in truth, I am not sorry. While we contemplate on numerous accounts of the benefits or harms of what we are about to do, generations of humans are passing by without knowing us. Humans grow to be more distant to us by the second. Our nature and theirs are different and for eons, they have followed our lead because they thought us wiser. But the truth is, we are nothing but old invalids discussing while many humans have already passed their time accomplishing a great many things."

"I have been with humans and they are truly amazing beings. We, through our old age have much to learn from them. If you all only open your eyes! You will see the truth in my words. Humans have progressed so much, thinking of things we have never even imagined, while we remain wasting away. This council needs to act more."

"Are you quite done?" the prince of Ketwara asked seemingly unaffected by his passionate speech.

Zane clamped his mouth shut deciding to keep himself from pushing his luck and saying anymore.

"That is another matter of concern, then, Prince Zane," the king nodded. "We will discuss that after we have discussed the issue of the lives of our people."

Zane's knuckles went white gripping the armrests of his seat, wanting to scream in frustration. At this rate, it would take years before they came to a conclusion and none were giving away anything about what they might thought of his choice to love a human.

Zane retired to his quarters feeling drained and irate. He unclasped the brooch clamping his mantle. Talk. It was all elves ever did. Talk. Generations of humans would pass before any of these elves would act!

"My lord?" a feminine voice called from beyond the shroud to his room. "The Council has sent me to you."

Zane's brows furrowed. Was it a message? A reprimand? Whatever it was, he knew it would be tied in to his antics at the Council Chamber. It would be best to get it over with before he meets Raneem. He wanted to devote all his time to her and wanted no form of distraction. Not even from the King himself.

"Enter." He rolled his shoulders feeling the weight of what he had to do. If he were to achieve something, he would have to employ human politicking tactics, otherwise, he could do nothing.

He discarded his mantle not really looking at the woman. Just waiting for whatever missive she was sent to him for. He tried not to look tired, but without his lady love, he felt drained. Gods, how he missed her! He missed her laughter, her mind, her gentleness and her stubbornness. And he could not forget how much he missed her body - every curve made to fit his as if they were missing halves of one another.

Zane grinned inwardly. The woman was a feisty, sensual goddess that lured out the beast in him while keeping him chained at the same time. And he let her. He let her torture him, make him throb and ache for her even with just thoughts of her. And he was throbbing and aching now.

The woman did not make any sound other than her entry. Perhaps, she was waiting for his acknowledgement. He had not once looked at her. Besides, he had to be rid of her to calm himself before seeing Raneem. He did not know how much longer he could take, so he looked up.

In a heartbeat, he was on his back on the bed, the wind rushing out of him. He felt something firm nudge his stiffness and his senses went on full alert. The woman had him pinned on the bed, her eyes hungry. Damn, if it was not the king's favorite mate herself - Elsa! And gloriously naked at that.

"King was right. You do need your release." She grasped him and he hissed. "How long has it been? I heard you had not had sex since the beginning of your year."