¹ | i n c e p t i o n

Start from the beginning

"Raneem," he stood putting her at arm's length, "-my time is passing. I am old and as a king I have become weak." he told her, his head laid low.

"That is not true, father!" Raneem began to protest, but her father shook her head and she silenced.

"Listen to me," he breathed, "If none of whom I sent comes back in twenty-five days, then I will name you Queen of Gwahan. I will pass to you the whole legacy of our kingdom. You might say that I am strong, but I am no longer fit to rule. My mind has been wasted on this and a very poor judgment comes from my mouth. I long for peace and quiet, my dear, power and politics interest me no longer. I doubt I will live for much longer in this grief, curse this blood. This is the final act of wisdom I am going to do. And I know you are ready, my daughter." he declared.

"But what if they return on the twenty-ninth day?"

"You will still be ruler and I will guide you. Amira and I will live the remainder of our lives in the country." he replied.

Raneem closed her eyes trying to shut out her emotions and thought about how wise her father's decision was. But try as she might, she could not bring herself to ignore her father's cries. He had become even more miserable than when her mother had died. And that was because of the elfin nature that ran through his veins. He could suffer grief once, but never twice. It pained her to not see any traces of the jovial, mighty father that had taught her to be strong for her people. Perhaps, there was one last thing she could do for him.

"Then I will go and get the cure from Treliron myself." she said, breaking the silence between them.

Her father's brows furrowed even more than she ever imagined possible. "Don't be foolish. The warriors didn't come back. That is how dangerous it is." he reminded her.

"Father, the truce extends only to the Royal Line. The elves will not harm me. I will speak with them and I will use my own blood to get the cure. I'm the only one who could do it, father, and you know that. As long as I don't harm the elves' domain, I will be fine." she justified.

"But who knows what else they might do to you? They have not forgiven us, Raneem. They have not forgiven the cruelty of our ancestors. Don't do this." he was trying to convince her but she was much more adamant than him.

Raneem shook her head. "Father, you had once told me that a wise and strong ruler, will exhaust all options before giving up the rest to fate and chance. I am your last option. The worst that can happen is that the elves will send me home with nothing but my clothes. In any case, I will return. They promised to never bring harm on the Royal Line of Gwahan. We have to trust in their honor. The elves never lie."

The king sighed as if he held the weight of the world. "You do know that if you do not return, I will go before my time and the kingdom will be caught between a war for the throne."

"I know that father." she said, nodding her head.

"Then you will bring with you precaution. Take Adam with you." he suggested.

Raneem's eyes widened instantly. "You cannot do that father! Adam is your captain-general! He is the cornerstone of Gwahan's peace and the key to your personal safety. I cannot and will not take him from you!"

"Listen to me, Raneem. The elves' oath extends to only as much as one honor guard of the Royal Line. And in the danger you would be exposed to, you need the best to be with you. If I die, then you would still be safe and keep the kingdom whole. But if you die, who would succeed? I would surely die with grief."

Raneem sighed and nodded. "I understand, father."

"Adam," the king said, "Put my daughter's life above yours. Treat her as if she were your queen."

"As you wish, my Lord," Adam bowed, "But I will not leave you without replacement. I would choose two of my best men to guard you."

"As you wish, captain-general."

Raneem stayed for a few more moments with her father until she could no longer stand the eyes of Amira on her. She pleaded to take leave with the excuse that she needed to pack. Behind her, Adam followed.

"I do not know what possessed you to do what you did," the stalwart veteran said, "I would have opposed to it if your father did not so easily agree with you."

"Adam, I will be in safe hands for as long as we do not harm Treliron. If we hold our part of the bargain, the elves will as well. They are creatures of honor."

The veteran quickened his pace and strode beside her. "It is not your safety I am worried about. It is your father's. I do not trust that woman." he hesitated, but saying it.

Raneem sighed. "Neither do I. But she will be the doom of my father if she dies. If there were any other way, I would not have you leave my father. But I'm certain he will not be appeased if my companion were any other."

"Nor would I," Adam agreed. "Your father is right. Your safety is more important now that your father is old."

"Truly, Adam. Sometimes, I think you are more a father to me than my own for as long as he is busy in politics and running the kingdom." she said, smiling at him.

"Forgive me, your highness. I forget myself. It is just difficult to forget that we have been watching over you since you were a baby." he said, apologizing to her.

Raneem smiled despite herself. "It's fine Adam. I rather like it. I see why my mother always told me to go to you with any problems that I have. She trusted you with her life, and I know I can trust you with as much as well. Now, make your preparations. We leave at dawn and finish this as soon as we can. And please choose the best men to be with my father. I would go insane if anything happened to him."

Adam bowed his head. "Your wish is my command, Princess Raneem."

If you guys liked this chapter, be sure to comment and vote

If you guys liked this chapter, be sure to comment and vote. And don't forget to tag your friends to share this story!

How is the start? Do you want to read more? Should I continue it?

Thank you so much for reviewing this chapter ccreationz