The Alpha's Guard

As always, comment, vote, fan. I love hearing from you!

Chapter 9 - The Alpha's Guard

"Luna."

A soft hand gently shook me awake. I batted it away and curled into the comforter, reaching out blindly to find the warmth of my dragon and snuggling him into my chest.

Soft laughter filled the room and the mattress dipped as someone climbed in next to me. This should have made me jump out of bed as if the hounds of hell themselves were giving chase, and even though I knew this in my head, I still couldn't make myself care as the intangible tendrils of sleep once again began to pull me under. Whether I was too tired to worry that someone was putting me in a very compromising position or I'd lost all sense of self-preservation, I did not know. Nor did I care. How did they make this bed so comfy? Had I not known it was impossible I'd swear I was lying on a cloud.

Sleep was nice...

"Luna, you have to wake up." Warm breath teased the exposed skin at the back of my neck. Strangely, it did not wake me at all. If anything it lulled me deeper into sleep. I couldn't remember a time I'd felt so at ease.

"If you don't get up I'm going to send Blaine in here. I'm sure he's not alive yet either, so he may just climb in bed with you instead of doing what I ask."

Vaguely I realized the speaker was Blake, and I slowly pried my eyes open, content to just stay in bed until the end of time. Was that really too much to ask? Maybe I could pay someone to bring me food every once in a while. Course, the bathroom would eventually pose a problem, but I'd figure that out later.

To say I'm not a morning person would be putting it lightly.

The voice at my ear sighed, releasing a bout of air to caress my face. "I don't know from experience," he whispered very slowly, "but I've heard tell that my brother sleeps in the nude."

I shot up so fast blankets flew everywhere. The sudden movement accidentally tossed Drake off the bed. He spread his wings, flapping frantically, and managed to save himself from the worst of the fall, but he landed in a graceless heap nonetheless.

"I'm so sorry Drake!" I apologized, grabbing him off the ground and hugging him protectively against my chest. Talk about being a bad pet owner! I haven't even had the little guy a full day and I was already trying to give him a concussion.

"Good, you're up!" Blake smiled brightly at me from his spot on the bed, hands interlaced behind his head. "I'm so glad you're not one of those people you have to pry out of bed with a crow bar, because Blaine is like that and it is incredibly annoying."

I scowled at him, left eye twitching just a little. A half crazed werewolf Alpha on the brink of murder I could handle. A morning person? Not so much. As a matter of fact, there should be a law against such brutality. No one had the right to be this happy so early in the morning.

Blake rolled off the bed and gathered up his neatly folded blanket and pillow off the ground, jerking his thumb over his shoulder to indicate a pile of clothes on the dresser. "Fresh clothes. Breakfast is about ready. Dad wants you down early so you can meet John. He should be here any minute."

"Hey!" I stopped him as he pulled the door open to leave. "Who is John?"

Softness lightened his eyes, something I thought to be rare in Blake though I hadn't known him long enough to be sure. "You'll like him. He's one of the nicest people I know."

"Really?" I mused. Adam had called him a warrior. Nice and warrior didn't generally work well together.

"Yeah." Blake noted my skepticism and shrugged it off. "He's like an uncle to me."