The Female Alpha

Alpha.

Meaning, of course, a supreme being possessing powers, abilities, and strength far above and beyond that of their kin.

There weren't many of them in the world. Only a handful. Five, if I was counting. Every one of our kind knew who they were, could feel the power they held within themselves like the heat radiating from the sun. And just like the sun, it would burn you if you got too close. Even I could feel the power of their command weighing on my soul, demanding subservience. It was inescapable. They were the best of us.

A leader. A ruler. A master. Someone to be revered, respected, and feared.

I, however, felt none of these things as I kept my back placed firmly against the wall behind me, my brown eyes staring studiously at a dark pair of shoes not far from me. Fleetingly, I glanced through the dark tresses of my fringe to see who they belonged to, feeling the boy's Alpha power - though undeveloped - brush against my skin, enveloping me. Spinning, slashing uncontrollably.

A storm left unchecked.

Werewolf.

I hesitated, feeling...not nervous, exactly, but unsettled, as I watched him laugh with a group of people around his age; my age. They were a mix of both werewolf and humans, oblivious to our species, all gathered around what I assumed was his locker.

He was undoubtedly the loudest, most obnoxious of the group. Forever the center of attention. They lapped up his every word as if it was the holy gospel. Which for some of them, meaning the werewolves, I suppose it was. The way they flocked to him did not surprise me in the least.

Equally as unsurprising is the fact that no one from his group had yet noticed me. Hidden partially from view by the row of lockers I could understand why I was invisible to the lot, and I hoped to keep it that way.

But, of course, I was me, and I knew that was impossible. Wishful thinking.

I took a deep breath and felt my eyes narrow. Seriously? Of all the schools I could have picked to go to, I had to choose the one that housed an Alpha's son.

High school sucked.

Life sucked.

"Nice view, huh?" Came a soft voice beside me.

I whipped around quickly, somehow holding back a growl and berated myself mentally for not having paid enough attention to my surroundings to hear the little dark haired girl pull up beside me. I took an inconspicuous breath through my nose while I smiled an acknowledgement at my unwelcome guest, committing her scent to memory.

Human. I relaxed my posture. I needed to get a grip. I couldn't afford to be so careless. Though I had been a bit...preoccupied.

No. There was no excuse.

"What?" I asked, really not sure what she had been referring to. The school? It was nice, I guess, but it was just a school.

She nodded her chin toward the group, her eyes steadily tracing a line up and down the Alpha boy's body before she shook her head. "Blake." She said it as a sigh. "He's every girl's wet dream."

I turned my attention briefly toward the boy - Blake - and did a visual scan. I could see what she was referring to, I suppose. He was tall, and built, with muscles corded around the exposed parts of his arms and stretching across the chest of his t-shirt, pulling it taunt. His hair was dark, disheveled in a devil-may-care, just got out of bed, way. His eyes were cerulean - a deep shade of blue that could never be mistaken as human - except by humans.

Sure, the view wasn't...bad. At all. But I wasn't all that impressed.

I'd seen better.

Werewolves are unnaturally attractive. All of them. It no longer fazed me as it obviously did these humans. I'd grown up around it. Eye candy was just that. Eye candy.