Chapter XVI

"You think I'm lying?" Jean raised an eyebrow.

"No I don't but... It's just hard to believe."

"You asked the question so here's the answer. If there are any more, go on."

Emma stopped for a while to think, she took a sip from the drink and the sugary alcohol burned her throat, making her cough. It had a heavy taste of spices in it. She cleared her throat.

"So, you are from Scandinavia?"

"Yes, my village was in where Norway is today."

"Norway, huh..."

Emma brought the drink to her lips again. It burned less after she got used to the taste and she took a big gulp. It created a warm feeling in her stomach and sent a wave of shivers down her body. She decided to change the questions a bit.

"Who is that person you keep calling mom?"

The smile on Jean's face faltered. She took a few too many seconds before answering.

"She was the lady of the village."

"Your old village?"

"Yes." her eyes roamed around the table with unease, "She choosed my brother as a sacrifice at his age of coming. I refused to be seperated so we were both taken by her." she stopped for a second, "Back then we didn't even know the kindred existed. For some reason she decided to embrace us rather than kill us off."

Emma felt a pang of guilt for asking the question.

"I'm sorry if it was an unpleasant subject."

"Not really, those days were way back then. Even my memories are hazy by now." she added,"Before you ask, my brother is the only one related to me by blood."

"Oh, so you got on well back then?"

"We are talking about centuries, of course our relationship changed in that while." she jumped off her stool and looked at Emma's drink, almost empty.

"Let's leave grim matters for another time. Come and dance with me."

She reached her hand out, Emma finished the rest of her drink and took her hand, landing on the ground with a soft 'thud'. Just as the song changed Jean pulled her on the dance floor. She seperated the mass of people with ease and reached somewhere closer to the middle. When she pulled Emma close it took a few seconds for their eyes to meet. Jean started dancing and although she wasn't as good, Emma managed to follow her moves. After a few minutes of see and try she stopped thinking about it and followed her instincts. It was an elegant but modern dance style, vintage yet not too old. They didn't stand out on the dance floor as they got lost in the crowd.

"How did you learn to dance so good?"

Emma had to almost yell to be heard over the music but then remembered Jean would hear her anyway. Jean leaned in on her ear to speak,

"Maybe I'll teach you sometime."

She made Emma spin once and held her from falling, which made both of them laugh. Time flied past as they danced and minutes felt like seconds. When the third song ended Emma was sweating and taking in heavy breaths. Jean slowly led her out of the crowd and helped her sit on a leather sofa.

"Sorry, I'm not exactly a fit person."

Jean raised a brow up,

"Your condition is that bad?"

That gained an inner 'ouch' from Emma but she tried not to show it.

"I was never really a strong person, got beat up a lot for that."