Chapter V

The room was dark and silent as Jean stared at the ceiling; it was almost midnight again. It was so silent that when she closed her eyes and listened, she could hear the soft breathing that came from upstairs. It soothed her to listen to Emma's breathing, to know that she was alive and well. It felt silly when she thought about it, she had had people during her lifetime that worshipped her as a goddess, sure that was centuries ago, but it was still strange how she persistently yearned the attention of this one girl. 

It reminded her of the times when she still had humane feelings, when she had reasoning and wasn't drowning in a world of cruel madness. It reminded her of herself when she didn't believe that she was just a cruel monster with no salvation. Emma was like a glimmer of hope that she wanted to hold onto, a hope that was long lost to Jean.

She turned her attention back to the clock on the wall, she would have to feed soon. Normally every vampire slept upon sunrise, most of them couldn't handle the sun and their skin either started burning or rotting under the bright beams of light. Ascending from the ancient ones, Jean was able to go out under the sun, but it still made her skin itch and eventually get burnt. It just didn't kill her as fast.

She stood up from the sofa and felt the dryness of her throat, her vision was getting blurry with hunger and the need to kill. It hadn't been that much of a problem during those two hundred years, but once the beast got a taste of blood it was like the most addictive drug ever. She stared out from between the curtains and looked at the dawn. The sun was almost down. Almost.

Jean practically threw herself out the front entrance when the last traces of sun disappeared behind the forest. She looked around and her eyes landed on the black bike that she had borrowed yesterday from a very dead biker. She snickered at the thought, she wouldn't have to return it any time soon. She tried to push her screwed sense of humor back in her mind and got on the bike. The engine started up with a strong roar and the highlights illuminated the gravel path, which gave her a slight nostalgia of the day before. She managed to get onto the road with better skills than before, she was getting the hang of this. 

Familiar roads passed by as she sped through the forest, the wind hit her face and made her hair fly back in waves like bright flames in midnight. She finally took a turn into the main road and the city lights got into her view. She picked a different entrance to downtown and made sure to park the bike far away from the street yesterday. She put the keys in her pocket after turning off the engine and jumped off the bike, she had to play in the shadows today.

Jean used to kill for joy and without any kind of morality, she wouldn't deem herself innocent even after thousands of years, but she usually didn't long for blood like this. Her body was the conserving type, it didn't waste any drop of blood unless necessary, which was necessary now because it was trying to close the giant gap that used to be her non-beating heart. She laughed at the irony; she was literally heartless.

She went through a few backstreets to stay out of view and started walking through dark alleyways, her night vision awakening. The beast got excited and sent a shivering feeling down her spine at the thought of fresh blood. She knew that if this kept up, soon she would be going on a feeding binge, which wasn't the prettiest sight to see or the easiest situation to cover up. In this new era everything seemed to have eyes and she wouldn't risk uncovering her mask.

Her ears picked up some close-by chatting as she walked further down the alley, she took a turn to the left at the end of it to finally come across a little group of street tugs. Her eyes beamed up at the view, she would have a feast tonight.

*    *    *

"What do you mean she escaped?!"

The throne room had a tension so thick that it was almost palpable. All of the guards were thrown out of the room and now a very injured and limping Eleanor kneeled in front of Jacob. She didn't dare speak as a wave of fear washed through her body. She just kept looking down.