Chapter X

It was still midnight when they got out of the passage, the half moon had a beautiful reflection over the vast lake that stood in front of them and softly illuminated the forest. Emma felt like crying in joy when she finally threw herself onto the grass and laid down on her back, she was breathing harshly and her condition only seemed to get worse as she pushed her body around. From the corner of her eye she saw two more people, or rather vampires waiting near the lake. One was a lean guy with long blonde hair, and the other was a girl with her brown hair made into a very short pixie cut. Camille seemed to talk to them for a minute and they looked to be arguing, then the blonde guy took Jean in her arms and Camille started walking towards Emma. Her hips had that same feminine sway as she did before and Emma wondered how she managed to walk on the dirt path with her high heels, let alone sway like that. She stopped next to her and kneeled down to a level closer to Emma.

"We need to move faster and your condition isn't really going to help. The other girl there," she motioned to the pixie cut girl with her thumb, "is going to escort you friend."

Emma looked at her unsure and a part of her got worried that her arm would hurt, but she was too tired to even stand so there didn't seem to be any other option. She nodded,

"Okay, I see."

"Put your hands over your stomach."

Emma did as told and brought her broken arm up with the help of her other hand. Camille softly held her from under her shoulders and knees and picked her up from the ground easier than she expected. Her hold was firm on her body but it didn't hurt too much, her arm still felt like it had a thousand needles jabbed inside but at least she didn't need to walk anymore. Camille stood up and Emma felt the wind hit her face as she ran, the ground looked upside down since she had thrown her head back over her arm and the movement made her feel dizzy. She felt a heavy nausea building up in her stomach and her face felt cold but she managed to barely stay conscious. Not before long her eyes closed and she started giving in to the heavy need of sleep. The world started turning black, but she felt relieved to be finally saved from the horrible feeling on her body for once.

*    *    *

Fire, it was all she felt as her body fell down to the ground. A fire that grew in her heart and started consuming her inside out. It felt like she was in hell and she wanted to scream but there was no sound coming from her throat, there was a constant ringing in her ears and her eyes couldn't see anything other than darkness. It hurt, it burned and she couldn't do anything, her body felt lost in a giant void.

Then she felt it, a warm liquid that seeped life into her lips. Something so sweet and warm that it started subsiding the pain in her chest. She held onto it and drank as much as she could, it felt like she was being pulled up from the bottom of the sea to the surface. Invisible hands pulled her up, and then there was silence.

Jean opened her eyes, there was a heavy feeling on her body as she blinked a few times and her view started to clear up. She wanted to move but a sharp pain in her chest kept her in place.

"Don't move, you're still healing."

She looked to her side and saw someone waiting next to her. Someone with long blonde hair and familiar brown eyes.

"Dominic?"

The guy tucked a part of his blonde hair behind his ear, she could see his face better now and he didn't look happy.

"You used to call me Dom."

Jean leaned back on the bed and closed her eyes.

"Yeah, that was a long time ago."

She didn't see but she could feel his features scrunch up in anger.

"What the hell were you thinking back at the castle, Jean? Going on a suicide mission to kill yourself?"