While Grover was sleeping, his bleats kept the other three awake.

     "So," Annabeth asked Percy, "who wants your help?"

     "What do you mean?"

     "When you were asleep just now, you mumbled, 'I won't help you.' Who were you dreaming about?"

     Percy seemed reluctant to answer, but finally, he told the other two about his dream which sounded coincidentally really similar to Amara's. 

     "I basically had that same exact dream, except that my mother wasn't involved. The voice was using my severe dislike of the gods against me."

     Annabeth was quiet for a long time. "That doesn't sound like Hades. He always appears on a black throne, and he never laughs."

     "He offered my mother in trade. Who else could do that?"

     "I guess ... if he meant, 'Help me rise from the Underworld.' If he wants war with the Olympians. But why ask you to bring him the master bolt if he already has it?"

     When Grover flipped around in his sleep, Annabeth readjusted his cap so it covered his horns. "Percy, you can't barter with Hades. You know that, right? He's deceitful, heartless, and greedy. I don't care if his Kindly Ones weren't as aggressive this time- "

     "This time?" Percy asked. "You mean you've run into them before?"

     Her hand crept up to her necklace. She fingered a glazed white bead painted with the image of a pine tree, one of her clay end-of-summer tokens, the only one Amara didn't have. "Let's just say I've got no love for the Lord of the Dead. You can't be tempted to make a deal for your mom."

     "What would you do if it was your dad?"

     "That's easy," she said. "I'd leave him to rot."

     "You're not serious?"

     "My dad's resented me since the day I was born, Percy," she said. "He never wanted a baby. When he got me, he asked Athena to take me back and raise me on Olympus because he was too busy with his work. She wasn't happy about that. She told him heroes had to be raised by their mortal parent."

     "But how... I mean, I guess you weren't born in a hospital...."

     "I appeared on my father's doorstep, in a golden cradle, carried down from Olympus by Zephyr the West Wind. You'd think my dad would remember that as a miracle, right? Like, maybe he'd take some digital photos or something. But he always talked about my arrival as if it were the most inconvenient thing that had ever happened to him. When I was five he got married and totally forgot about Athena. He got a 'regular' mortal wife, and had two 'regular' mortal kids, and tried to pretend I didn't exist."

     "My mom married a really awful guy," Percy said. "Grover said she did it to protect me, to hide me in the scent of a human family. Maybe that's what your dad was thinking." 

     "He doesn't care about me," she said. "His wife-my stepmom-treated me like a freak. She wouldn't let me play with her children. My dad went along with her. Whenever something dangerous happened--you know, something with monsters--they would both look at me resentfully, like, 'How dare you put our family at risk.' Finally, I took the hint. I wasn't wanted. I ran away."

     Amara realized that was what Annabeth meant when she said that it wasn't like she 'hadn't done it before.' She had run away, too. Just like Amara. She had spent days out in the wild just like Amara did.

     "How old were you?"

     "Same age as when I started camp. Seven."

     "But ... you couldn't have gotten all the way to Half-Blood Hill by yourself."

     "Not alone, no. Athena watched over me, guided me toward help. I made a couple of unexpected friends who took care of me, for a short time, anyway." 

     Amara felt bad for Annabeth. She figured since both Percy and Annabeth were talking about their lives, Amara would too.

     "My mom ignored me my whole life. Four years ago, she told me to leave the house. She told me who my dad was and told me to go to camp and never come back. She said I was too much of a danger to her and I reminded her too much of my dad," Amara told them.

     Percy looked at her with a strange, almost sad look in his eyes. She hoped he wouldn't sympathize with her. She hoped he wouldn't look at her or think of her any differently now that he knew of her past.

     Amara looked back outside the window and watched the scenery roll by, wondering what monster they would have to fight next and when and if they would make it to Olympus in time. She began to wonder what would happen if they went to the Underworld and it happened that Hades didn't even have the bolt.

     She shook her head to pull herself from her thoughts and focused on the present, so she took the pleasure of riding with three of her friends on a life threatening quest.

ϟ

wow these chapters are getting long

hope you guys liked this and thanks for reading!