Chapter 21 - Cat Fight

It was a vermilion sun that rose over up over Palermo that day. Comfortable and quiet would not be the best words to describe it... More like angry rays of intruding light accompanied by the roasting heat of hell. Even the sporadic chirping of birds was less sing-song and more akin to agitated spats; like acid dripping off demon's tongues as they gleefully anticipate profound calamity. And this was how she recorded it – though her journaling would not be remembered for many months to come. Her furious trance state writing was invoked at the behest of a higher power with grand purpose that key moments would be recorded for their future consumption. And as the scorching rays of the rising sun traversed the spectrum from red to orange to glaring yellow – unseen and unheard spectral denizens howled and cried out from their perches all around the La Palm. This was so because the enemy's most enjoyable pastime is deceiving good people in the quest of recruiting them into his dark service.

Anticipating the long trip in the morning, they had hit the sack immediately after their notable experience at the bar. Finally adjusted to the jet lag, Don was up by 9:00 that morning, albeit with a bad hang-over. His first waking observation was that Les was not beside him in bed; a rarity as she love to sleep. Looking up, he puzzled at the sight of her across the room, back to him, naked. She was leaning over their bags doing something that stuck him as odd. At first, he thought she was fishing for a garment or something, but he quickly realized she was actually stashing something in her suitcase.

He gave her a complimentary and said, "Good morning lover," but then, she oddly stood straight up, arms falling to her sides, and she just froze there with her beautiful back to him. "What's the matter honey?" She offered no response, and just stood there frozen. As his concern mounted, he was on the verge of sliding out of bed and going to her to see if she was okay, but at that moment she turned around and smiled... "Oh, good morning honey!..." Don quietly asked, "Whatcha up to honey?" "Oh, I'm just excited about the trip and meeting your uncle, so I thought I'd get a jump on packing." Don said, "Ah huh... Good deal honey and I'm glad you're psyched up for it..." and he made a mental note to check her bag later...

He issued a loud yawn, reached for the room service menu, and began studying it. After calling down for a pot of coffee, some fruit and croissants, he noticed to his pleasure that she had slipped back into bed beside him. He shut his eyes pretending sleep, and suddenly at light speed was on all fours. She squealed in delight as he threw off the covers and grabbed her by both her ankles and started pulling her to the end of the bed. Now it was her turn to feign sleep, as he yanked on her legs like a dog playing tug-of-war, and they both began laughing hysterically at the ridiculousness of it. Don fell back in bed beside here, and after a long good morning kiss they got up and began pulling themselves together and packing. Don beat her to the shower, and when he got out he wrapped a towel around himself and strutted into their room singing:

"Joliet, Champlain, Cartier, and LaSalle
Are all explorers from the country France
Through the Northwest Passage they tried to go
But the Spanish Armada wouldn't give em a chance"

Les clapped her hands on her ears, "No, no, Donny, not the explorer's song, please, not before breakfast!" But he continued, mercilessly...

"We're on the road to Alia, ALIA!

Forging bravely forth! Explorers we Are!

Oh Yes, we're on the road to Alia!"

This was one of his routines when they traveled, and it always endeared him to her, but she had a vicious hangover and pleaded, "Donny, please, mercy..." Realizing his bellowing might be a bit excessive, he acquiesced, "Oh okay honey, I'm just trying to get us psyched," She grimaced, but with a gleam in her eye, suggested, "How about you psyche us up when Louiggi gets here..." "Consider it done!" He snapped to attention and gave her a Roman Salute, and his towel dropped to the ground exposing him - instigating another outburst of giggles.