The Strange Illness

The week following  was filled with strange claims. Many families that farmed on the outskirts reported that many of their horses were falling ill for some unknown reason. They had sent many complaints to the mayor who had a veterinarian, who just happened to be Anastasia's mother, attempt to solve the issue. 

Anastasia sat at the dining room table, finishing her homework when she heard the front door shut.

"Mum, did you find out-," 

Anastasia stopped mid-sentence when her mother's disheveled form meandered into the communal area.

"What happened?" 

Anastasia's mother, Dr. Natasha Camden, sighed audibly before sitting down in the chair that her daughter had pulled out for her.

"I don't understand it," the Scottish accent that her mother possessed laced into her speech. "I tested the horses for every disease known to man. They should be perfectly healthy ,but their sickly hue and lack of energy says otherwise."

Anastasia stared to massage her mothers shoulders. She tied back her long, curly, auburn hair so that it would bother her mother.

"Mum, if anyone can figure out what's wrong with these horses, it's you. I know you can do it!"

"I hope so, my job depends on it,"

Hearing these words, Anastasia gasped. She quickly concluded that the mayor simply needed a scapegoat and, as her mother was the only other person involved, it would be her.

"Maybe, maybe, I can help you!" Anastasia exclaimed.

"Perhaps. I'm  supposed to see Mr. Jackson's mare tomorrow. Your keen eyes may spot something that mine can't. He's extremely worried that the illness may affect the filly or colt that she is carrying,"

Dr. Camden adjusted her glasses before handing Anastasia a black envelop with a red seal that resembled that of a red rose.

"This was brought here by mistake. It belongs to the family that recently moved here. Would you mind returning it for me? I'd like to consult my notes,"

"Of course, Mum,"

Anastasia exited the house and began her journey on her aquamarine bicycle.

The house was hard to miss. It was a three storey place that looked as if it hadn't been lived in for years. Moss grew on the rotting plywood outside and the roofs 'shingles' were simply smaller pieces of rotting wood that had been painted a peeling shade of brown.

Warily, Anastasia walked up to the door, holding the letter and a basket of assorted fruits. She had decided to give the family a warm welcome. She knocked lightly, afraid the door would tumble.

The decaying oak door was opened to reveal Amadeus, who donned a black hoodie and grey, baggy sweatpants. 

"Oh! I didn't know you lived here, Amadeus!"

His emerald-teal eyes scanned the female for a moment before anything was said.

"Hi, it's Anastasia, right?" 

She nodded and handed Amadeus the letter.

"The mailman sent it to the wrong address so, I brought it here,"

"Thanks," he responded before taking the envelope. His eyes widened and for a second, his gaze was fixed upon the seal.

"Nathaniel!" He shouted, his head turned toward what Anastasia thought was the living room.

A tall, sandy-blonde haired male appeared. He appeared to be about eighteen.

"Yes, Amadeus?"

Wordlessly, Amadeus handed the envelop to Nathaniel who quickly disappeared into the house.