Chapter Four:

The doctors came out of surgery a few hours later

"Good news or bad news first?"
"Good"
"John's tumor is gone."
"The bad news?"
"He flatlined twice on the operating table."
They both cried.
"But he's okay, right?"
"Yes, he can go home tomorrow."
"Great. Thank you so much Dr Sherwell."
"Anytime... it is my job you know..." he laughed and walked away smiling.
When they went into hospital room 7, they saw their precious three year old hooked up to machines while sleeping, and it all just started to feel so real. Daren sat by John's bed and cried, holding on to his hand with his usual loving and gentle grip. After about four hours, John woke up as sore as ever. Shailene hugged him so tight and never wanted to let go. She was so happy that she didn't have to loose her son forever. When they saw him the first thing John asked is if once he got out of the hospital he could go get ice cream. Daren thought that was the funniest thing ever. So that night when John got out of the hospital he invited "Uncle" Greg to go with them. Everybody got ice cream and John thought it was the best time he's ever had! They told jokes and did silly pranks and just celebrated. After they got home they showered and went to bed. Shailene kept asking Daren what he thought would've happened if they couldn't get all the tumor before it was too late.
Daren answered "Don't worry about the 'what ifs' of the last and worry about the now."
She understood where he was coming from. She saw how worried and upset he was. She just hoped John would be okay forever.