Chapter Five

Judiah...

"You ain't never been around these parts so stay close J." Amaru says to me and I nod my head. "Here is the place you'll eat the best soul food in your life." He says as he begins to lead me into a restaurant.
"Um... Amaru, I still have to meet up with Mary later on..." I say softly. He smiles at me and laughs a little.
"You'll be fine! We'll make it there!" He says and I sigh.
"Alright..." I give in and he smiles at me once again. We finally get fully inside the place and I look around. Everyone seemed to have stoped all of their conversations and were now looking at me and Amaru.
"You alright J? You look nervous." He mumbles to me as we walk further inside to find a seat. I lick my lips and nod my head.
"I'm fine... just a lot of new faces." I admit and he pats my back.
"You'll be alright broth. And if you're wondering why people starin' so hard it's prolly because of those blonde curls sittin' on your head!" He laughs as he slides into a seat. I blush a light shade of pink and sit next to him.
"I only dyed them because I wanted to be different." I voice softly and he picks up a menu from the table.
"You're definitely different." He says and I'm or sure if I should take that as a compliment or an insult.

 "I'm not sure if I can eat all of this

"I'm not sure if I can eat all of this..." I mumble and Amaru kisses his teeth.
"Listen, if you don't eat all of it it's like an insult to the black community! Just sit back and enjoy Judiah." He says and I scoop up a fork full of collard greens. I push them into my mouth and slowly chew. Once I realize that I like the taste my food vanishes from my plate in a blur. "When's the last time you ate?!" Amaru laughs as he stares down at my empty plate. I shrug as I wipe my face with a napkin.
"How much is the bill?" I ask and he looks up at me from taking a bite of his chicken. He chews his food before wiping his face.
"Don't worry about it Judiah, I've got it." He says and I shake my head at him.
"No that's alright, can you please tell me?" I ask as I begin to dig in my pockets for money.
"Two seventy-five..." He sighs and I nod before settling four dollars upon the table top.
"Did you two enjoy the food?" A young dark skin woman asks and smile.
"Yes, it was amazing. Thank you." I say and she bends over to grab the four bills.
"You're welcome sugar, come back anytime." She winks and walks away. Amaru finishes his plate and we make our way out.

"Judiah you've ever been with a girl?" He asks as we slowly waltz down the street. I keep my gaze on my shoes as I shake my head.
"No... I've never really put the time into one." I say and he clicks his tongue at me.
"Judiah you're about to be nineteen and you've never been with a girl? Have you... you know...?" He asks getting closer to me. I look up at him and blush a deep red, giving him his answer. "Oh man! You've never experienced the most wonderful body part that a woman has?! Oh Judiah man you're missing out! It's so warm and wet and-"
"Okay! Okay!" I yell out and laugh nervously as I cover my ears.
"That's why I love women, without them there wouldn't be no way for us men to experience pleasure like that! Also without them we wouldn't be standing here, that's what a lot of people don't understand. Women are like the creators of this planet." He says and I twist my lips up.
"You're right..." I say and he bumps my shoulder.
"Damn right I am!" He laughs making me join in also. "Judiah what's holding you back from being... free?" He asks as we make it to the bus stop. I furrow my brows and sit down on the bench.
"I'm not sure... I guess I'm just afraid. I know that we will never be actually free. I don't want to get used to living a life that's so carefree that when the time comes to be serious... I don't know how to." I mumble and play with my hands.