Once I had the fire built up again, I sat down and waited. Lone Wolf came and sat down next to me. He glanced once at me before raking his eyes over the gathered wolves. Calm, expectant waiting looks were all he saw, except for Businessman, who looked at him with pity.

Watching Lone Wolf lower his head in defeat saddened me. Somehow despite his nervous glances toward Sheep, Line Wolf managed to keep his head bowed down, finally settling in, holding his chin against his chest. At least he was only sitting, hugging his knees against his chest and not kneeling.

It hurt me to watch Lone Wolf's defeated personality coming back to the fore after he had experienced the freedom of a wolf. It was harder to wait, giving Sheep time to act on his own. He didn't. He just stood there, silently seething. He refused to look at any of us. I had embarrassed him and, in his mind, judging from Lone Wolf's reaction, shamed him.

"Well, come on," I finally said gently, "no sense in freezing. Come by the fire," I said calmly.

There was no command from me, but neither did I beg him. Sheep jerked in surprise, staring at me. The wolf in him still craved acceptance. The man in him thought he had been denied it. Yet here I was, offering him a place by the fire. The contradiction made him unsure of what to do, so he stood there, less angry, more confused, and uncertain of himself.

Lone Wolf finally stirred, looking up at me. That pernicious werewolf dared wink at me!

"Please, my lord, my alpha, I would hear your words. And my Beta, please," the big man's voice lowered to a whisper, "please my Beta," he begged, "please, please be willing to listen. I need..." he couldn't go on, silent tears falling.

Once again, he played the Royal card, calling me 'lord' for his companion's sake. Once again, he meant every word he said. And he knew I would let him get away with it because of that wink!

The abuse he'd suffered under false presumptions, believing he had no choice, believing he deserved his treatment because of the lies and the terror fed to him by that sick alpha... it was all too much. The truth was waiting, and his companion's stubbornness was denying him that truth.

Despite his need, Lone Wolf did not yell, scold, even mildly fuss at the young man he called Beta. This bulky, collared, muscled man abjectly begged. It sickened me.

"Will you deny him the truth of what he is?" I asked softly.

I was surprised at the tears in Sheep's eyes when he turned around. He tried to comfort the big man, kneeling next to him, stroking his face.

"I will hear you for his sake," Sheep said, his voice controlled, with just a hint of anger still. And he still wouldn't look at me.

"Good enough," I said. I took a moment to shift enough to increase my sense of smell. My link with Spirit Wolf widened.

"The natural wolf alpha male and female are the breeding pair of the pack. If something happens to them, someone needs to step up, which means the others need to practice dominating or being in charge, which means someone has to be dominated. The omega serves that purpose. He gets dominated by everyone but not bullied. Do you understand the difference?"

"No."

It was spoken quietly, speaking because an answer was expected and he felt forced to, eyes focused on the fire. Lone Wolf had moved Sheep back in front of him, hugging his arms around the younger man. I think Sheep was closer to me than he wanted to be. He wouldn't look at the others either.

"If the omega gets out of line, and by that, I mean acting more dominant than the others, they chew him out. If they jump on him for no reason, they might get chewed out by the alpha or beta. It's part of the learning experience.