"So?" Chloe asked sliding next to me as I was bringing some empty dishes back into the kitchen.

"So what?" I asked back.

"What's he doing here?"

I rolled my eyes at her excessive curiousity. "Just waiting for me to finish my shift."

"Oh my god, other than being outrageously handsome, he also seems lovely! He's a keeper."

"Seriously?" I asked her, raising an eyebrow.

"Have you seen him? He's so charming. You're so lucky to have him as your boyfriend."

"Oh! We aren't together, actually" I replied putting down the dishes.

"Are you sure about that? Because from the way he looks at you, he seems to be thinking otherwise."

"Oh come on" I replied, and went out of the kitchen again.

• • •

When my shift finished, I headed to the balcony.

"Hey there" I said, and Harry, that was checking his phone, looked up at me.

"You're finished?"

"Yeah, time to go home" I replied as we walked in.

I turned around and locked the balcony door and, after having said our goodbyes to Chloe, we got out.

I closed my coat as soon as we were in the streets. "It's getting quite cold" I said, trying to make conversation.

"It's almost November" he replied, "It was bound to happen."

"I can't wait for Halloween."

"I used to like it when I was little. It seems a little... meaningless now, though" he said.

"What do you usually do for Halloween?" I asked him.

"Nothing. I stopped celebrating it many years ago."

I glanced at him. His hands were into his pockets, and he was looking ahead. His body seemed a bit tensed up, probably because of the freezing cold.

"Well this year will be different" I told him, and he looked at me.

"What are you planning?" He asked, with a hint of worry.

"Nothing important at the moment" I said. "Gemma is so nice" I added jokingly after a while, trying to change topic.

"I've never been as embarrassed in the twenty-five years of my life" he replied blushing slightly.

"Your rings, Harry!"

"Please don't" he said, putting his arm around my shoulders. "This is the last time I'm walking you home."

"It probably won't be."

"You're right" he replied, "I like you way too much for it to be the last one." He stopped walking and I did the same.

I looked up at him. He was biting his lower lip nervously.

"And..." He continued, "I'm willing to... try, if so are you." His gaze flickered to the wall behind me.

I smiled. "Are you asking me...?"

"I like you. And I know I said I wasn't ready, but as the time goes by I can't help but realise that... I'd like to be yours."

His words fell between us, accompanied by a small silence.

"Yes, Harry" I said after a few interminable seconds, and stood on my tiptoes to reach his height, "I'd like to be your girlfriend."

"Thank god" he replied smiling, "That was one of the most nerve-racking things I've ever done."

"Shush" I whispered, closing the distance between us and leaning my forehead against his, "Now you really should kiss me."

He closed the small distance between our mouths, and our lips met.

"We should go home now" he murmured, breaking the kiss. "If we're lucky enough Gemma won't be around."

"Oh come on, she's not that bad" I said laughing lightly.

• • •

Let's take the stairs" he said when we got into our building.

"Why, so that we can have time to run away if Gemma is there?" I asked playfully.

"You read my mind" he replied sarcastically, "Now let's be silent, I think people are sleeping."

"It's midnight, it's not that late" I asserted.

"Right above us there's a couple with two small children, I can promise you they are sleeping."

"Now, how would you know that?"

"I saw them once in the main hall" he replied as we reached our floor.

"You're quite observant."

"Not really, they're quite loud. It's surprising that you didn't know."

"Shut up, now" I said, "I was wondering if you'd like to come in for some tea?"

"At midnight?" He asked.

"We've also had it much later" I replied.

"That's true. I wouldn't mind at all, as long as you have sugar" he said smiling.

"Cane sugar?"

"Don't."

"Well I don't know if I have cane sugar, you might have to resort to the normal one" I said unlocking my door and walking in.

"I won't mind" he replied shutting the door behind us.

"Are you gonna help me or are you just gonna stand there?" I asked him walking to the kitchen and turning around when I reached its door.

He hung his coat on the hanger next to the door. "I'm gonna help."

And if we fell asleep in each other's arms on my bed while the tea was still steeping, that's for no one to know.