Roommates

The only sound at the dining room table is fifteen mouths smacking and swallowing spaghetti, occasionally one of them pausing to exclaim, "This is so good!" or something to that effect. Good thing I made a ton, because everyone goes back for thirds, and even fourths. I feel accomplished and pleased.

When everyone has a contentedly full stomach, no one can do anything but sit in a daze. Rick looks at me. "I cannot remember... the last time I had a home-cooked meal like that. That was just... wonderful." Everyone joins in the praise, and all I can do is smile and babble thanks.

Rick takes this time to introduce me to the group. "Now, I never did catch your name," He says after.

"It's Yara," I reply. "Just Yara," Carl chimes in from across the table.

"I see you two have gotten to know each other," The ripped-sleeves man, Daryl, nods with a smirk. Carl and I look at each other for a split second, before looking away and blushing. Everyone sort of chuckles, even Rick.

Eager to change the awkward subject, I stand up with my plate in my hand. "If you could just place your dishes in or beside the sink, I'll start cleaning up."

But Carol won't have any part of that. "No no. I'll wash. Maggie, help me dry." "I'll put away," Glenn volunteers, standing up and moving quickly around the table.

I shake my head. "No, please, it's okay, I can do it. You all need to unpack. Besides, we have a dishwasher. You don't have to do it by hand."

"It works? You have power?" Carol says in disbelief.

"Yeah, we have a generator. I hooked it up to make the pasta. We have a lot of electricity."

"Well in that case, I'll put them in there. We'll do the cleaning. I insist."

"Okay. Well, thank you!"

"Thank you," Rick says as he and the others rise from the table.

I smile. "Well, you saw the rooms, so go unpack and make yourselves at home. Some of you might have to sleep in the living room or the basement. My room's small, but I can share with someone."

"I can share with you," Beth says. She smiles. "It'll be like roommates."

I return her smile. "Okay."

"Wait," Rosita cuts in. "There was a room with a crib, Beth, and you need to stay with Judith."

Beth looks at me, an apologetic look on her face. "I mean, I'm sort of her... nanny, I guess..."

"It's okay. No problem," I say with a laugh.

"Carl can share with Yara," Rick announces.

Dead silence.

"Would that really be... appropriate, Rick?" Carol shakes her head.

"He's the only other kid here," Daryl reminds her. "and that room doesn't have much space. Besides, he's a big boy, he can keep his hands to himself."

You've gotta be kidding me. I turn to Carl, my hands like mini Niagara Falls. "You don't have to..."

"You got a better idea?" He shrugs indifferently.

Well then. I try to look as if boys stay in my room every night. "Alright then, cool, whatever."

Carol looks at Rick. "Rick, they're teenag-"

Rick cuts her off with a wave of his hand. He regards Carl. "My boy is a trustworthy man now." Carl nods vigorously, and I can't tell whether he's eager to prove his dad right, or if he's eager to live in an eighteen-year-old girl's room for who knows how long. I guess we'll find out soon, I decide.