The Punishment of Disobedience

Sometimes, listening to your family is important. Because once you upset them, even if they do nothing to you, you will still suffer the consequences. -NinjaLovesIcecream

"I will not go. I don't care if it is important. I will not!" The teenage girl said, her eyes flaring with anger. It did not matter to her that her sick mother could not go in place of her or that her stern aunt was going to faint if more argument continued.

Mary did not wish to go to the ball. Why should she? It would only bring back bad memories and she hardly wished to see her rich ex-boyfriend dangle his new fling in front of her eyes.

No, she would not go. Nobody could force her to do anything that she didn't want. Just to prove her point, Mary stormed out of the room and burst into the garage, ignoring the screams of her aunt from behind her.

"Mary, wait!" Her aunt shouted but Mary paid no heed to her. She was already in her newly-bought jeep and she was all set to go to her friend's house. There was no reason for Mary to stay in a house where she was not allowed to do what she wanted.

Mary started the jeep and with a thunderous roar of the engine, she drove out of the driveway.

Her friend, Harriet's house was not far away, just along a highway which was surrounded by thick, huge trees on both sides. How Harriet lived there was something Mary still could not understand.

Mary was halfway along the unmaintained highway when she felt a pang of guiltiness. She was rash and had upset her (albeit strict) caring aunt and frail mother. She had wanted to turn the car back home but it was impossible to make a U-turn in the unbelievably narrow road.

While she was figuring a way to go back, she hardly noticed a car coming from the other direction. When she did, the first thought that came to her mind was what a fool that person was for driving on such a narrow road.

It did not register to her the danger of the quickly approaching car, and when it did, she quickly swerved to her right, trying to avoid the car. She knew that if an accident happened between the two cars, she would suffer much less damage than the car and she was in no hurry have the weight of someone's blood on her hands.

The jeep fell downhill, flipping over a couple of times. Mary felt a grappling fear engulf her as she hit her head multiple times on the hard roof of her car. She clung on to her seatbelt and with a fuzzy mind, contemplated jumping out in an attempt to save her life.

However, soon the tumbling came to a stop, and so did her consciousness as her head hit the tough steering wheel and she blanked out.

When she awoke, she found herself lying on a road onlooking a destroyed jeep stuck between bushes. She rose to her feet, and almost fell over because of the intensive pain that coursed throughout her body.

With great strength, she picked herself up and walked in slow steps towards the damaged vehicle. For some unknown reason, a tear escaped her eye. Perhaps she was fond of that vehicle, she could not remember.

However, she knew that somehow she must have been involved in the accident for the excruciating pain and the terrible condition of the truck only made sense when she added them up together.

She didn't stand there for long. A policeman came up to her and guided her to a chair. "I am afraid you are not allowed to stay so close to the accident sight, Ma'am." He said and made her sit on the chair before leaving.

All of a sudden, Mary felt a severe pain that made her think that she was dying. It went away after a few seconds but it felt like after hundreds of years of torture. Perhaps she could ask one of the people near by to help her. Bring her somewhere where the pain could be cured.

As she sat, Mary realised that she did not know how the accident happened, or what was happening. She wasn't sure what her role was in all this and all she wanted was to be back in her mother's lap.

Her mother. That thought struck her. Where was her mother? Was she worried? Was she in the accident? She hoped her mother was fine. Perhaps she was at home. Mary could not stop the worry that clouded her.

A man came up to her. "Hi, I am Robert. How do you feel?"

She looked at him for a moment, her head slowly registering his words. When she finally managed to comprehend what he said, she choked out, "Pain."

He winced at that. "I am so sorry for that, honey. It was idiotic of me to continue driving on the road. I have to thank you for saving my life, though. I wouldn't be alive without you."

Then, realising what state she was in, he continued. "The paramedics are on their way, honey. Would you like to call anyone to inform them where you are?" He asked.

Mary nodded and forced herself to croak out another word, "Mother."

"Your mother?" The man asked to confirm. She nodded.

"Oh well, what is her number?" Mary's eyes widened. She could not remember.

"I don't know." She whispered.

Robert gave her an encouraging smile. "It's okay, honey. Do you remember her name?" He asked calmly.

She shook her head. What kind of daughter was she? She could not even remember her mother's name. How terrible!

Robert's eyes widened. "Um, honey, do you remember your own name?"

Mary gave him a fearful look. She did not need words to tell him that she could not.