Someday: Chapter 12

CHAPTER TWELVE

Screw Life

AS THE RAIN FELL, I looked up at the dark sky and cursed the heavens. I cursed fate. I cursed chances. I cursed whoever made me stop and look at the tree where that white swallow rested. I cursed myself for bringing Isaline into my life. If I hadn’t known her, then she wouldn’t be dead right now. I wouldn’t have had to witness her ending.

I stood up and walked. I ignored Aika, Hana, and Oren’s offers of walking me home. I don’t care if I died right now. I really wouldn’t mind. In fact, I’d be happy that my short, inauspicious life would finally come to an end.

I dearly wished that, at the very least, I’d die with style. Perhaps the same truck that hit Isaline would figure that, ‘Hey I missed the girl I hit’s lover back there. Gotta turn around and hit him too. He’ll be sad all alone now that I knocked his girlfriend unconsciously.’

“Dammit,” I cursed myself as I arrived in the more populated area of Lannin. “Dammit. Dammit. Dammit. Dammit.”

Cars honked and beeped as I passed in front of them without any care in the world. Pedestrians looked at me as if I was all sorts of crazy, walking down the street, under the relentless pour of the unforgiving rain. Bystanders looked at me with scorn since I bumped every person I passed; I didn’t even try to control my walking.

Then I blacked out.