Nineteen: What No One Else Has

Chapter Nineteen. What No One Else Has.

"ASTRID!"

Hiccup's scream echoed through the Plaza, his emerald eyes staring up into the velvet, orange-tinged dark where she had been snatched by the Nadder. His hand was still outstretched, breaths shuddering through him and he felt as if his heart had been torn out.

Had this been how it was for his father, all those years ago, when Hiccup's mother had been stolen away?

"Oops."

The casual word dragged him back to the chaotic present, the roars and shrieks continuing, the crackle of flames and thud of battle penetrating his shock. Around him, he could smell burning and blood and cooked meat and sweat and leather. Slowly, he turned, seeing the recalcitrant and uncaring shape of Dagur, looking after Astrid with a 'oh well, that happened' look. And rage literally boiled in Hiccup's chest at seeing the man who had abused and tormented him for so many years and who had just screwed up his efforts to get her safely away stand there uncaring of what he had lost for Hiccup.

"Oops?" Hiccup growled through his teeth. "Oops? That's all you have to say?"

"Well, I'm waiting for your thanks for saving your life, brother," Dagur said smugly but Hiccup had turned to face him fully now, his shoulders rigid and fists clenched in fury.

"I didn't need saving!" Hiccup yelled in his face. "I wasn't in danger!"

"Of course you did!" Dagur scoffed. "That dragon..."

"Was calming!" Hiccup yelled at him. "I had it distracted...another few seconds and it would be calm enough for Astrid to get away. But no....Dagur the frickin' Deranged had to barge in to try to show off how 'glorious' he is-which he isn't!-and screw it up!"

"What do you mean distracted?" Dagur sneered.

"You never think!" Hiccup yelled. "Astrid was in danger and I was making sure she got away. And you ruined it! You caused that dragon to startle and she was taken as a result!"

"I don't like your attitude to our help..." Dagur sneered, his eyes flattening with anger. Hiccup closed to a few inches, glaring directly in the pale, mad eyes, angry almost beyond reason himself.

"Your 'help' has made things far worse!" Hiccup shouted in his face. "Let's not even start on your stupid idea to bombard the village into matchwood just to keep the dragons off it! No-this is the worst raid for months-because the dragons are far more aggressive because your people are actively seeking dragons and attacking them! We only fight them when they attack our stores our houses. If they are flying over, we leave them! We have found it causes less casualties and destroyed fewer homes that way! But you are costing our people their homes and food because you just want to kill a Night Fury for your own aggrandisement!" Dagur's lip curled back in a sneer.

"This is how we fight dragons in Berserk!" Dagur sneered.

"Where you have far fewer raids and about four times the population!" Hiccup yelled at him. "This is Berk! And we're going to pay for your hubris with our homes! And your arrogance has cost me...Astrid!" Dagur gave a scornful snort.

"She wasn't worth it if she was so easily taken!" he scoffed.

Instinct took over and Hiccup swung, putting every ounce of his frustration, rage and hatred of Dagur in that moment into a punch that floored the Berserker Chief. Staring up into the flashing green eyes, Dagur automatically raised a hand to his chin, his face almost in shock.

"She is worth EVERYTHING!" he shouted. "And worth more than a thousand Dagurs and your entire Tribe!" Slowly, Dagur rose to his feet, his face no longer pleasant or friendly but twisted in rage.