Chapter 3

"Thanks Joel, I'm kind of in a hurry, is that okay on the tab?" asked Mitch

"What tab?" replied Joel as he handed Mitch his double shot latte. "Go on, get out of here," he continued, noting that Mitch was already halfway out the door, keen to get back across the road to yesterdays crime scene.

Mitch was glad that the sun was up this time, but disappointed that he'd missed his morning run again. Two days in a row meant he would have to do a more vigorous training session to make up for it. Mitch wanted to survey the scene again before he went to deliver the sad news to the girl's parents. Maybe the parents would have some important information to help the case.

Thomas would be busy calling all the guests that had stayed at the Marriott two nights ago. Angel would be preparing her report. Mitch hoped she would find something concrete. Brandon would be putting the pressure on the boyfriend to see if he was involved. Meanwhile, Mitch was looking for something he may have missed.

Mitch stood at the raised garden bed, surprised that Angel had not actually taken it away. He turned around in a full circle, trying to see if there was anything he missed. Surely someone must have seen something? Five red metal bollards separated the short street in between the Marriott and the executives building from a smaller alleyway further up. At the end of the alleyway was a fairly popular tattoo shop. Beyond the tattoo shop, a person could still make their way through the buildings and into Loftus St. Mitch knew the operators of the tattoo shop, and that they had links to the Bikie gangs, but strongly doubted they would have had anything to do with the murder. If the owners of the tattoo shop wanted anyone gone, they would not have put them on display. They would have preferred for them never to be found at all...

From the corner of his eye, Mitch noticed a hunched figure bustle from the shadows. "Hey!" Mitch shouted as he put his new shoes into action. Approaching the first turn, it appeared as if Mitch was running directly into a wall. At the speed he was going, he nearly did. Putting his arms in front of him, he slammed his palms against the gritty wall and moved his body sharply to the right. The hunched figure was nearly at the Loftus street but moving slower. Mitch put his legs into high gear as the person turned around, surprised that Mitch was closing in. In a nervous scramble, the fleeing person tried to make it onto the sidewalk, but was jagged back as Mitch laid his strong hands onto his shoulders.

Mitch was so involved in the short chase, that he had not even noticed who it was. The man looked up at Mitch with frightened eyes; his chaotic greyed hair and crazy stained teeth soon brought home the realisation to Mitch that it was one of the many homeless people living in Circular Quay. People on the street began to stare as the homeless man began flapping his arms about and screaming wildly, fearing that Mitch was going to harm him.

"Settle down," said Mitch firmly as he took his hand of the man and gestured for him to calm down. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to ask you a question." There was no point in pulling out his badge. As soon as Mitch had lifted his hands, the man had scampered off into another alley. The people that were viewing the scene shook their heads with disgust that Mitch had harassed the poor homeless man.

The truth was, Mitch really felt for the homeless people. Some found their places in sheltered doorways out of sight from the masses, while others existed in full view on crowded locations of the Quay. Quite a few of them he knew by name, including Juicy Lucy! Many had their regular patterns and routines; finding treasures from other peoples litter, or begging for a few dollars and then enjoying the reward of a cheeseburger from McDonalds.

Some were sociable, to a degree; preferring to stick with conversations between each other. Most would talk to strangers if you approached them, but they would always be guarded. The streets were not some kind of pleasant resting place for people who had nowhere else to go. Try paying a visit to shadowed places in the city at 3a.m. in the morning. Most of the homeless would tuck themselves as far out of view as possible. Not only to protect against the weather, but also to protect themselves against other people; and sometimes, even other homeless people. The ones who had lived on the streets a long time could smell fear, and they know how to survive. Often they would approach someone new on the streets and befriend them with niceties, or ask for a cigarette. Any opportunity that presents itself, they will take advantage of; eager to fund their next heroin hit. And if they detect you are scared, they will demand your shoes with a knife against your neck.