Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

"Elise! You sweet little angel!" Instinctively, I faced Elise to where Nana was. She placed her hand on Elise's chubby cheek.

"Nana!" Elise exclaimed happily.

"Happy Birthday!" Nana greeted. "You're indeed an angel sent from above. You've brought happiness and courage." At the latter word, she stole a glimpse towards my direction.  I pursed my lips and looked away. "Alright, I have to go back to the kitchen. I haven't finished cooking yet. You three have fun."

I wouldn't deny how awkward it was at first. If Elise wasn't here, I would not know what to do. Or how would I act. My actions timid and calculated — the first in awhile. The last time was when I performed in front of an audience for the first time.

Maybe Elise was really an angel sent. Because I knew if it was not for her, I actually don't know where would I even start.

It had been an hour since we stepped foot inside our house. We were playing with the slime I recently bought just for Elise whilst giving her a piggy back ride when suddenly, my stomach grumbled — in my defense, I was anxious and a little tense this morning about how this day would go that I forgot to eat breakfast.

I met Andrea's eyes and because of that I felt like being swallowed by the ground was not a bad idea after all. I quickly looked away and cleared my throat.

Elise giggled. "I'm hungry too!"

To my surprise, Andrea chuckled. 

"Alright. I'm going to get some snacks. I know the two of you are hungry as a lion right now." She stated as she stood up from the couch and glanced towards Elise and I. "Especially uhm, Justin." She continued. I was perplexed by the sudden turn of events.

Was she... teasing?

I adjusted Elise on my back, her hands still playing with the slime; she wanted to be superman or well, superwoman for the day.

"Well, I'm a beast, the king of the jungle so yeah. Figures." I stated back — trying to redeem myself.

She rolled her eyes and raised a brow. "You're more like a Pumba Justin."

My mouth fell ajar — from her statement and the way she addressed me. "Elise your mom is bullying me."

Andi narrowed her eyes as I slowly placed Elise over the soft plush couch of our living room.

"Well Mommy told me a lot about your eating habits Daddy." Elise grinned.

I faked gasp. "Are you with Andrea on me being Pumba?" She just smiled sweetly.

"I'm going to get the snacks now, okay? You kids enjoy." Without waiting for a remark, Andrea turned around and headed off towards the kitchen. But not before I caught a glimpse of a small, gullible smile plastered across her face.

Huh. I fucking thought I won a grammy or something because of that. I was just instantaneously in a good mood.

"Alright, that's it. This for thinking I am a Pumba." I, out of sudden, tickled Elise that caught her off guard. She laughed hysterically.

"Da...Hahaha...ddy....Hahahahaa....Mom—my An...di!" She said between laughs.

"I'm a - what again?" I chuckled.

"A...hahaha...lion...haha...king of...haha...the jungle."

I stopped as I watched Elise breathed heavily. I combed her soft hair that were out of place and chuckled again. After what seemed eternity, when we finally settled into place, I spoke. "My mom called little babies a baby bunny."