FOUR

We were all ordered to sit in the hall beside the conference room.

"Obviously someone's getting fired." Reed muttered.

"Shut up!" April nudged her.

"She wasn't even my patient!" Cristina groaned.

"How long is this going to take?" Alex muttered.

"Why, do you have someone you gotta call?" Avery snickered.

"Oh honey, give me a number, I'll call you back!" Charles Percy mimicked.

"Shut the hell up!" Alex stood up. "What do you know about me? For all you know, I could be calling my elderly grandmother!"

"Wanna go?" Avery stood up as well, and Alex lunged for Avery's collar. I pulled Alex's arms in an effort to stop the fighting. The attendings jumped in a used force to separate the two until they were sitting in their seats again.

"Listen, Alex." I moved his head so he would be looking at me, and not the dumbass across from him. "Avery's not worth the time." Alex's expression gave nothing away.

"Oh, and I thought we were friends." Avery interrupted me.

"Well, you know what? I did too, until you started staring at me when Shepherd asked who was in charge of the patient!" I yelled.

"You did the same thing, and you owe me one. I saved you from a patient!" he shouted back at me. He jumped up, about to hurt me or stare me down, but Alex held my arm before I could do the same. Lexie held my arm down too, and she was sitting on my other side.

"You said it yourself, Kylie, he isn't worth the effort." Alex grumbled. I sat back down. When Jackson's name was called I saw him leave his chair and enter the conference room. I burst into tears and ran off.

"I'm sorry, I'll be back." I ran to the womens' restroom and cleaned my face up. I was scared of him. He looked like he was about to do as much damage as he had helped me. I cried a little, picked myself up from the floors and went back to the hall.

Avery wasn't back yet. I almost sighed in relief, but I saw Charles's smirking expression, and my heart sank a little. I sat back down at my seat.

"You okay?" Lexie asked me.

"Yeah, I'm good." I answered curtly.

Avery left the room, and Charles snickered. Avery seemed a little confused. When he looked at me, he had a nasty glare on his face that gave me shudders. He's mad at me.

"Shepherd." Dr. Webber called from the door of the room. My brother and I looked up.

"Which one?" Derek asked.

"Kylie Shepherd." He specified, looking at me. Oh no, did Avery say something? I panicked, thinking of every little possibility as I entered the room and took a seat.

"Alright. Dr. Avery just told me what a wonderful surgeon you are, and how it was pleasurable working with you. However, he also told me that you were the one who entered her chest tube."

"H-He was right there, watching me put in the chest tube! He knows I did it right!"

"Did you go in through the fifth intercostal space? You could have punctured her diaphragm!" Dr. Webber questioned me.

"Dr. Webber, I did it properly!" I reasoned, but it felt like more of a plead.

"Okay then. Dr. Avery also said you used the defibrillator." Dr. Webber said. I was about to protest, but he continued. "How did that go?"