FAQ'S

Leave your writing, publishing, and editing questions in the comments below and get them answered HERE by a professional literary editor... 

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

See the most common questions we're asked added here.

1- When should I use a comma in dialogue? 

In your dialogue (speech), a comma always needs to end your sentence, followed by a closing speech mark, then your speech tag (he said, she said etc).

Example:

"I had fun today.  Thanks," she said with a smile.

If you're not adding a speech tag after it, end your sentence with a period, followed by a closing speech mark.

Example: 

"I've had a great time too." He smiled back.

You can also swap that structure around, with the speech tag at the beginning, ending with a comma to lead into the dialogue.

Example:

With a shy look she said, "I'd love to see you again."

Or even put the tag right in the middle of your dialogue, with the comma in both positions.

Example:

"Oh you'll see me again," he said, "sooner than you think."

(See The Complete Writer's Guide for details on capitalisation in dialogue)

2- Lay/Lie/Laid or Lain??

In the present tense, you LAY objects and LIE yourself(humans)

In the past tense, you LAID an object and LAY yourself (humans)

In the perfect tense, you have/had LAID an object, and have/had LAIN yourself(humans)

3- How can I make money from my writing?

Wattpad is a great platform for promoting your writing skills and establishing your name as an author. Publishing your book through a traditional publishing house (like Penguin, Palgrave, Macmillan etc) or independently (Amazon, Smashwords, Radish) can help you to make an income through your writing. 

Once you've gained a bit of popularity you can even do things like joint promotions, attend signings and get commissioned to write more books! There are a tonne of options to get you started, for more info send us a message.

START LEAVING YOUR QUESTIONS BELOW AND LOOK OUT FOR THE ANSWERS IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!