The Center - Aragorn (Part 2)

You finally stumbled upon Aragorn near the waters edge, picking apart a long blade of grass. You stopped a distance away and watched him. He was your best friend and the only man you would ever love. You had been avoiding your feelings for years. Aragorn was your chieftain and your king. Your duty was to protect and support him. That was all.

"Do I not even get a hello, old friend?" you asked in a soft tone.

He jerked his head to the side, showing you his tight jaw. He was angry. 

"I suppose I will get the same lecture from you that I got from ada," you said and stepped closer to him. 

Still he did not turn.

"Thank you for getting me to the elves in time, mellon."

He nodded but simply plucked a long reed and began to pick it apart. 

You came to stand directly behind him and put your hands on his shoulders. "Aragorn, please." There was a plea in your voice and a sick feeling settled in your stomach as your voice cracked at the end. You hated when he was angry with you. The only thing you hated worse was when he was disappointed. Fortunately, that didn't happen very often.

He spun, grasping your wrists in his hands and holding them between you. His eyes searched your face. "Why must you always put yourself in harm's way for others? I nearly lost you, y/n."

You tilted your head. "It is my purpose. I did not intend to die, if that is of any comfort."

He tugged on your wrists, causing you to stumble forward into his chest. He wrapped his arms around you and held you for a long moment. After awhile, his hand moved up to cup the back of your head. You just closed your eyes and enjoyed the sensation of being this close to him.

"How can I allow you to go on this quest knowing that you will constantly be putting everyone else's life before yours?"

You pressed your head more tightly against his chest. "You are my king, if you order me to stay, I will not go."

He laughed and pulled back to look down at you. "And how can I do that when I know what you are capable of? We will need you on this journey, I'm afraid."

You nodded once and he used his fingers to push a stray piece of hair behind your ear. His hand grasped your chin and your eyes locked with his. Warm lips collided with yours and after a stunned moment, you returned the kiss. Your fingers threaded through his dark hair as his hands settled on your waist. Your lungs began to burn in their need for air and you reluctantly pulled away. 

Aragorn pressed a kiss to your forehead and then pulled you back to rest against his chest. "I've wanted to do that for ages," he said, causing you to chuckle.

"And I have wanted you to do it for ages." A thought stopped your joy. You took a large step back so you were no longer in contact with him. 

He frowned and his brow furrowed as he reached out to bring you back to him. You held up a hand to stop him. 

"What of Arwen?" you ask. The thought that you might be the other woman caused your chest to ache.

You sighed in irritation when he said nothing. "Do not play dumb with me, Strider. You know everyone expected you two to marry when we were children. And the last time we were here together, you hardly left her side. Do not tell me there is nothing there."

He stepped forward, grinning. 

You held up your hands again as you stepped back. "Stop."

He dropped his head and you could tell he was trying to control his smile. When he looked back up he wore a smirk and had a twinkle in his eyes. "Arwen and I...it is true that in my youth, Elrond suggested that she might be a good match. A good queen. I assured him my affections lie elsewhere." He stepped forward and placed your hair behind your ear again. "And the last time we were here, she was trying to get me to work up the nerve to tell you that I've been in love with you since I was old enough to understand what that meant."