Chapter 38- When Things Look Up

Start from the beginning

"Gren, Greninja." He replied, bowing his head politely. Ash grinned, hastily running towards his other half and collided with full force, almost knocking Greninja over. Lapping and crossing, a pair of tanned arms and blue arms embraced the other, and for a brief moment, I saw a completed master piece.

"Who is this?" Gary asked me, only in a simmered whispered that was laced with his desires to sleep. He was unaware of the significance.

"This is Greninja, he is Ash's Pokemon. He'd left after the attack on Kalos, which I'm sure you're aware of, however that is a story Ash will probably have to tell you. But, Greninja, he is special. Very special, to Ash." I replied, leaning in so he could hear my hushed voice.

When the pair broke apart from their embrace, the jet haired boy turned to us with his grin still perfectly in tact, presenting his other half like a long lost jewel of royals.

"Gary, Elaina, I would like you to meet Greninja. And yes, this is the Pokemon in which I have the bond phenomenon." Ash introduced, leading his partner closer, so you could see the slight discomfort that stitched the curve of his eyelids. Our traveling group had changed a significant amount since Greninja had last been with us.

"I'm so sorry for screaming, I had no idea who you were." Elaina apologized, sheepishness and embarrassment creeping into her expression.

"I could use an apology for that as well." Gary murmured, massaging his cheek bones and letting a small yawn escape his lips. The golden haired girl heard this and threw him a nasty look. It was a glare that made you relived looks couldn't kill.

"Greninja." The Pokemon spoke honorably, bowing again in both greeting and forgiveness.

"Hey Ash, what do you mean by bond phenomenon? I've never heard anything of the sort in all my days of helping Gramps." Gary pondered, confused. But who was to blame him? The world hadn't seen anything like it in thousands of years.

While my crush explained the situation to his old rival, I approached Greninja to greet him again. I smiled, warmly and genuinely, grasping one of his webbed hands in mine. Blackened eyes met mine and in that moment, I swear he saw the feelings I harbored for his other half. I felt the shiver in his fingers at my touch, as if he could sense a boiling tension.

"Great to see you again. You look well, after fighting for so long. Do you think...it's finally over?" I hoped that he would nod, declaring that I had no need to worry things could turn dark again. And he did, he nodded, but making promises were always hard, so it was hesitant.

"And Squishy can second this?" I asked, just to confirm. This time there was no hesitance. His nod was firm and unquestionable. And if Zygarde felt the presence of evil had filtered away, then who was I to question? The forests had been quiet and we had no encounters. They had done their job well. Kalos had been rid of any darkness that weaved systems through its very earth. Veins of chaos didn't bulge from the forest shrubs no longer. The only indication such events had happened laid in the cracks of the Lumious buildings.

"Can you show me, then?" I heard Gary ask. He was still skeptical and I wasn't surprised. It was something you could only believe once seeing it through your own eyes.

"Sure, if that what it takes for you to believe me." Ash responded, his signature confidence seeping into his tone. Greninja perked up, tearing his gaze from mine to look hopefully at his trainer. It had been months.

The pair wondered some distance away, for the raw power that was to come would require a certain amount of space. Anticipation took a hold of my breathing, laced my fingers together and almost made me stagger forward.

"Are you ready, Greninja?" Ash asked, facing him, gaze locked and tenacious. A gaze so heavy their surroundings could cease to exist.

"Gren."

And with that, Ash raised his palm and took his partners hand. A concentration so pure pulsed between their stares and contact on their finger tips. An unleashing of a beast, kept chained for far too long. A rawness so obliterating, it sent an uproar of water to spiral around Greninja. Thrashing and trouncing higher, encasing every exposed inch. Whipping around Ash's hand but spilling not one drop. The cone of water mimicked merely the low rumble of a distant waterfall and did not disturb the peace of the forest in the meager seconds it took to surge.

Once the transformation was done, the tides drew back towards its heart. Shrinking but not disappearing, rather, forming the four-point star on his back. The supplementary black spikes and red crown fastened onto his head.

A true magnificence that radiated an unique aura.

Gary gasped and said "I think I've found my next personal research project."

*.                    *.                   *.                   *.   

It had been sometime. We spent the next hour discussing such phenomenon and admiring its rarity. Ash looked so happy, I couldn't help but grin myself. Everything was falling into place. It was all so perfect.

But as the moon began to sink closer to the horizon and we all became aware the sun would arise again soon, we decided to head back to bed.

I had been talking to Gary about his plans to become a professor and how long he was to spend his time in Kalos. He didn't plan on staying much longer as he had some more projects to work on back in Kanto. Although he wanted to dedicate a project to Ash and Greninja, he admitted he had a lot of other things his Grampa--Professor Oak--expected him to complete first.

As I was walking back to the tent Elaina and I shared, I noticed my blonde haired friend and Ash having a hushed and quiet conversation. It looked tense and although they were whispering, it seemed difficult to retain this amplitude. Eyebrows stitched together and frowns prickling each lip.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I approached them. Both were stunned at my arrival, flustered even.

"N-nothing." Ash answered abruptly, a slight undertone of panic creased into his expression. I wasn't satisfied with his answer but decided not to prod Ash on the subject.

"Oh. Well, goodnight." Was all I replied. Ash nodded, and I noticed guilt swirling deep beneath his auburn eyes. However, he'd become good at masking some unwanted emotions as of late, so the culpability laid well buried.

"Goodnight." He whispered before scurrying away. I watched him leave, broad shoulders disappearing into his tent.

Once Elaina had zipped up the tent and we were safely alone, I decided to interrogate her.

"So...what were you and Ash talking about?" I question with a raised eyebrow.

"Just now? Oh, it was nothing. Only battling tactics. We were arguing over which would be more effective. The usual." She responded casually while unzipping her sleeping bag. This was an answer I could actually believe. They had these kind of arguments quite often.

"That makes sense." I shrugged and followed her into the warmth of my own sleeping bag.

"Nothing you'll ever need to worry about, Serena."

_______________________________________________________

I'm really dreading writing the next chapter cause I don't think I feel like readers are gonna hate me. But probably not for the reason you'll expect. Anyways see you next time. And hopefully the time after that if you don't track me down and kill me.