September 29,1980

Dear Harry,

You've hardly been in this world two months and you've already experienced the affects of war.

I was in Diagon Alley today, trying to get some extra parchment and quills so James and I can write other members of the Order when we're unable to attend the meetings. I remember when I first set foot in that odd place - here were people shouting, odd puffs of smoke filling the air, and the occasional laugh echoing from busy storefronts. Now, there's nothing. It's odd to see many of the stores with their doors bolted and their curtains drawn. People shuffle around in big packs, no vulnerable side exposed, always on guard. Not only has this war taken lives, but it has taken spirit. It has drained out any hope of victory and replaced it with constant, pressing fear.

I was walking down the street with you strapped to my chest, my cloak wrapped around my front to keep you concealed. I doubted anyone would try and hurt you, but you could never be too careful. I definitely never want to take any chances with you, sweetheart. James told me not to go to Diagon Alley alone, said that he would go get the parchment and quills when he got off work. He told me I definitely shouldn't take you with me if I were to go. I went anyway, making a quick stop into the store where I used to get my school supplies in and hurrying out as quickly as I could.

I should've listened.

The street was eerily quiet, as it usually was these days. There were less people than usual hovering on the sidewalks, but I paid that no mind. I thought it was simply because a cool draft was coming, a sure sign that winter was on its way. I couldn't have been more wrong. The shrill sound of a scream ripped through the silence, followed by a blinding burst of emerald green light. I stumbled backwards, shielding my eyes from the flash. It wasn't until the black spots left my vision that I spotted the body spread-eagle on the cobblestone.

It took me only a few seconds to dart into a side street, relatively concealed from the unsuspecting eye. I peeked out from behind the dirt-streaked wall of Ollivander's I had taken shelter behind, my eyes widening in horror as I watched nearly a dozen figures in dark cloaks and golden skull-like masks fan out across the entire Alley.

One of the figures, which I assumed to be a man given its height and stature, stormed into a nearby shop - Flourish and Blotts, the exact store I had just vacated. He dragged a the shop keeper out of the small building by the backs of his robes, throwing him ungracefully into the middle of the street. A rising sense of dread was building up inside of me as I watched the Death Eaters advance on him, the look of complete and utter fear written across his face.

"What do you want?" The shop keeper mumbled, his hands shaking as he held them in front of his face. "I'll do anything you ask, but what do you want?"

The male Death Eater who appeared to be the leader leaned down over the man, placing his wand beneath his chin. The man froze in terror. "I want you to tell me if you've seen Lily Potter anywhere near your establishment today."

Harry, I can't even describe that feeling to you. To hear my name come out of that man's mouth...it was a absolutely terrifying. The Death Eaters were looking for me. Voldemort was looking for me. And, by extension, that meant that they were looking for you and James as well.

I had to get out of the Alley.

The shop keeper's eyes went wide, his gaze flitting around the now-deserted street as if he was trying to spot me. I shrank further back behind Ollivander's. "N-N-No sir, I don't think so."

"What do you mean, 'I don't think so'? You've either seen her or you haven't!"

"No sir, I haven't. I-I-I get so many customers each day, I wouldn't be able t-t-to remember i-if she did come in." He did remember. He had greeted me by name only a few minutes prior. If they found out that he was lying to protect me, he would be dead before I could even think to stop them.

"Oh, you wouldn't remember?" The lead Death Eater hissed, a nasty snarl in his voice. "Why don't I just refresh your memory then? Crucio!"

As the shop keeper's screams filled the air, you began to stir against my chest. I began bouncing you up and down, trying to keep you quiet. You're not a very fussy baby, Harry, but loud noises tend to set you off. Today, we couldn't afford for you to start crying.

"Shh," I whispered, smoothing down the unruly mop of hair on your head soothingly, "shh, Harry, it'll be alright." I glanced behind me towards the end of the street, hoping to see it open up into a different, far away section of Diagon Alley. My heart sank down to my toes as I realized that my little safe haven ended in a dead end. I had sworn to myself that I'd never apparate with you, since that much pressure being applied to a newborn baby could be extremely dangerous. However, I had pretty much figured out at that point that I had no other choice. Unless the Death Eaters got exhausted in their efforts to find me, I'd have to risk apparition.

"SHE WAS HERE!" The shop keeper screamed, still writhing and twitching on the ground. "She just came into the store and bought some parchment!"

The lead Death Eater waved his wand through the air, and the curse was suddenly lifted from the man's body. He slumped against the pavement, breathing heavy, his eyes strangely unfocussed. "Where did she go?" The Death Eater snarled, snatching the man around the neck and lifting him up. He pointed a weak finger down the street I had been walking on, the one that led to the entrance of Diagon Alley. If they decided to walk down that street, which they undoubtedly would, I would be spotted for sure.

It was hard to tell, but I swear I saw every Death Eater begin to smile. They knew they had me. "POTTER!" One of them hollered gleefully.

At this loud exclamation, you let out an earsplitting shriek, almost as if you were replying to the woman's call.

"Crap!" I exclaimed, watching as each of them turned towards my alley. I knew they saw me - stupid red hair, why do you have to stand out?

"Come out here Potter," The lead Death Eater called lazily, strolling towards me with his hands in his pockets, "we just want to talk."

Let me tell you this, Harry - all Death Eaters are idiots. What did they think I was going to do, run towards them with open arms saying, 'oh alright! Let's have a nice long chat about the weather!'.

"Or better yet, you could just throw us the kid!" The man hollered, drawing laughs from his comrades. "It's him we really want anyway! Don't worry, he'll be perfectly safe!"

Harry, I'd like to apologize for what I did just then. I don't exactly know if it affected your brains or not, considering you can't even speak yet, but I'd like you to know that I did it for your own safety. And yes, I'm trying to apologize for apparating with you even though I knew it was a horrible idea. But hey, it saved our lives, and there was no way that I'd ever let any of Voldemort's supporters ever touch you.

I'm home now, sitting in bed with you in my arms. James came home as soon as he got my call, and Dumbledore came soon after that. Somehow, he knew why the Death Eater's tracked me to Diagon Alley - or rather, why they tracked you to Diagon Alley, my dear. He said it had to do with some kind of prophecy, one that made Voldemort want to hurt you. He told me not to tell anyone the exact prophecy, that I shouldn't even write it down. So instead of writing here, I'll tell you when you're old enough, so that you're prepared.

Not that you'd ever need to be prepared. We're going to take down Voldemort before he can ever touch a hair on your head.

For now, Dumbledore told us to stay inside. He said that he was going to place a Fidelius Charm over the house so that no one can see it or come inside unless they're told the location by the Secret Keeper. James and I have already agreed that our Secret keeper will be Sirius, the man that we trust with this burden more than anyone else. I just hope that no harm will come to him while he tries to keep us safe.

Don't worry Harry. You're surrounded by a literal army of people who love and care for you. We won't let anyone hurt you for as long as we live, and soon we'll be free to go outside and live in a world without confusion or fear. Just wait for that day, Harry, and hold onto it like it's the most wonderful thing in the world.

I love you so much sweetheart,

Lily Potter