Chapter 21

The Italian Royal family left the morning after the ball. Polite goodbyes were exchanged between them and the Elite, with heartfelt hugs and handshakes for Derek and his family.

So imagine my surprise after I, quite literally, ran into Prince Samuele.

"Woah. Where are you headed in such a rush?" Samuele smirked, offering his hand to help me up. How was it that I was the only one to fall?

I could only sputter, shocked at his sudden appearance. Hadn't he just left the palace a matter of hours ago? Still, he stood there, hands crossed over his chest as he leaned against the wall. Somehow he made me feel as if I needed to explain why I was here.

"I was going to my room, your highness," I motioned to the closed door only a few steps behind him. "I guess I could ask the same thing of you. Aren't you supposed to be on a plane?"

"Please, call me Sam," he pushed off the wall, running a hand down his dark-stubbled chin. "I decided to extend my stay."

I frowned; I found it odd that his parents would allow him to remain in Illéa with the always looming threat of rebels. "Isn't it dangerous for the heir of Italy to be here?"

"Goodness! Here I'd thought my father had left, but I suppose he stayed as well," Samuele rolled his eyes. "I'm here for Derek. A man needs his best friend when he's choosing a wife."

I flushed at his words, images of last night floating back to my mind. I could see Samuele's grin flash as my cheeks reddened.

"Though I suppose he may have already found one. Don't think I didn't see you two sneak out last night."

I couldn't stop the squeak that escaped my lips. "How-?"

"Please. I grew up with Derek; he'd make a terrible spy. You two are just lucky his parents didn't see." Samuele took a step closer to me.

"Nothing happened, your high--Sam." I could only stammer; why on earth did I feel like I had to defend myself?

He only laughed, surprisingly. "I believe you. But even if something did, I wouldn't tell anyone. I may be an ass but I wouldn't tattle on my best friend."

"I--good." I closed my mouth, unsure what to say.

He grinned and adjusted the sleeves of his dark red button-up. I couldn't help but glance at his bare fingers, no wedding ring to be seen. Obviously I'd known he wasn't married, but it still surprised me. I knew Italy didn't have the Selection, but I'd half expected the Prince to be married, or at least engaged.

He cleared his throat before stuffing his hands in his pockets, almost as if he'd noticed me looking. I took a step back, expecting him to throw a snide joke at me, but he was silent. He and Derek seemed to be opposite sides of a coin, yet alike at the same time. Derek, with his fair and blue eyes, was a kind light, humorous and good. Samuele, the dark, with his black hair and snippy remarks. Yet they both seemed to hide things; Derek had made his secrets clear to me, but I could see that Samuele was still hiding something behind a wall of stone.

"Next time you're walking around that corner, I suggest you slow down before you knock someone else over," he straightened suddenly, back to his usual self in a heartbeat. "I know Derek is fond of you, but my God I've never met someone so clumsy."

My eyes narrowed, searching for a response, but I held back my tongue as he turned to leave.The last thing I needed was for Derek's best friend to hate me.

"Genevieve's room is upstairs," I blurted before I could stop myself.

"I-what?" Sam turned to look at me, his brow knitted.

"I said, Genevieve's room is upstairs," I spoke again, voicing what I'd thought the moment I'd bumped into him. Why else would he have been wandering the halls? "Obviously you got turned around, considering you're on the second floor with the Elite."

"Hm. I guess I did," Sam spoke, his eyes never leaving mine. His eyebrows were still bent in confusion, though I wasn't sure why.

"Yes, well...have a good day." I backed away to my room, not quite sure whether I needed to curtsy.

"Lady Erika?"

"Hm?"

"We're all fighting for something. Even if we know it's wrong, that we shouldn't. Don't forget that."

"I'm sorry, I don't under-" I spoke but my words trailed off as he disappeared down the hall. What in the world was he talking about?
__________________________
Just a quick little update! I forgot to mention this in chapter 20, but as of rn we are about 2/3 of the way through Another Elite! There will be at least 30 chapters, possibly more depending on how things go, but it is close to done! But never fear, a third book will be up soon after (I may also have a novella or two up my sleeve *wink wink*)

ALSO, Another Selected is at nearly 33k reads! THAT IS INSANE!! Thank you so much for reading guys, it seriously means so much to me! I love you all!

QOTC: Has a book ever made you cry?

AOTC: Absofrickenlutely. I just finished the Infernal Devices and no joke I was close to sobbing (that epilogue in Clockwork Princess killed me). I tend to get pretty emotional when it comes to books.

Please comment and vote! Your kind comments keep this story going!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_