Chapter 18

"Just a couple finishing touches," Beth spoke to herself as she clasped a stunning diamond and silver chain around my neck. I didn't often wear jewelry, save for my bracelet and the occasional pair of earrings, but tea with Queen Nicoletta and Princess Gabriela practically required it.

My dress was stunning; white fabric faded into a pale blue, almost like a waterfall, with tiny crystals encrusted across the bodice and the skirt that floated to just above my knees. It was gorgeous, but it wasn't too over-the-top for tea with the Royal ladies.

After they deemed me acceptable, a guard came to take me to the tea party. I'd hoped it would be James, but I didn't recognize the blonde boy who greeted me. He was kind enough but I'd wanted to ask James if he'd spoken to Genevieve.

I was expecting him to lead me outside, but he instead took me to another room in the palace. I was looking forward to a party outside, but now that it was December we would likely be holed up inside.

The guard opened the door and I walked in, met with the chatter of the other girls and the Royal women. Gold fabrics were draped over four tables with vases of white flowers set in the middle. White teacups and plates sat at each table, with pastries and finger sandwiches arranged artfully on small platters. It was elegant and beautiful.

I could see Liana at the right side of the room, standing with Kamryn and Fallon. Each of them wore vaguely similar white dresses with various gold accents to match their setup. Small white flowers were braided into Liana's golden brown hair; she looked beautiful. But the frown on her face was quite the opposite. As I looked closer, both Kamryn and Fallon wore similar looks. It took me a moment but I finally understood.

Avalee stood in the center of the room, her pink dress practically glowing against the white and gold. She'd completely deviated from their group, instead focusing on her own spotlight. Unfortunately for Liana and the rest of their group, it looked as though they couldn't work together.

"That's too bad," a voice spoke behind me; I looked over to see Rowan. "I would have expected Audrey to do something like that, but not necessarily Avalee."

"Hopefully Celia gives her a hard time and not the group," I nodded, turning to face Rowan. Her black hair was draped over one shoulder, bold against the blue of her dress. She looked beautiful, but I always got the sense that she was trying to hide it. "Lets sit."

Rowan and I made our way to an empty table, as did the six other girls. Queen Nicoletta, Queen America, Princess Gabriela, and Princess Marlee entered only moments later. Genevieve and Everly followed closely. Quickly, we all rose again to curtsy.

"Oh my! This is wonderful!" Queen Nicoletta beamed, clasping her hands. "Isn't it beautiful, cucciola?" She spoke to Gabriela.

Gabriela nodded, a smile breaking out across her deeply tanned face. Her dark hair hung in curls, her dress identical to Princess Marlee's. After a round of awws and cooing at the two little princesses, they all made their way to different tables. Queen Nicoletta and Gabriela made their way to Liana and Eveline's table, Genevieve and Everly each splitting up to sit at the other two tables. Queen America and Princess Marlee made their way over to Rowan and I.

As maids poured tea in all our cups, Marlee bounced in her chair, tugging Queen America's sleeve. "Mommy! It's the pig girl!"

Queen America flashed me an apologetic smile while Rowan gave a confused tilt of her head. "I'm sorry. She's rather fascinated with the fact that you live on a farm."

"It's alright," I smiled softly, still in shock that the queen was sitting with us. The fact that she ruled the country was scary enough, but her being Derek's mother terrified me even more.