Chapter 1

I fingered the charm of my bracelet as I looked around the nearly empty Women's room. Sitting in the back corner of the room, I was alone and silent. I wasn't quite sure where Liana was, so there was no one for me to talk to. I'd finally figured out everyone's names, but that didn't mean I was comfortable sitting with them.

Eveline, Avalee, and Rowan were gathered at one of the tables, pieces of creamy white paper and colored pencils covering it. I remembered Eveline saying she was an artist; I could see her beautiful sketches from my seat. Avalee was a model and it looked like she was sketching designs for outfits. I knew Rowan worked in a bakery, so her drawings weren't quite as good as the others-still, they were much better than what mine would have been.

Sage and Elodie sat in front of the television, watching some kind of documentary. I had pondered joining them, but after hearing them discuss the changing climate I had chickened out. Sage was studying science and Elodie was going to be a teacher-I didn't quite fit in with them.

Instead, I busied myself with my bracelet and a cup of tea. The star was the only charm and it clinked against the chain as my fingers played with it. The silver was tarnished, bits of rust mixed with its metallic shine. It looked so old and I wondered how long my grandmother had had it. Dad gave it to me the day I left Kent, so all I knew was that it had been hers.

Part of me wished that my mother or my sisters, or even one of my brothers had given me something to take to the palace. I appreciated Dad's gift and I wore it nearly everyday, but it didn't hold as much of a meaning as I wanted it to. I'd never met my grandmother and she had died four years before I was even born. All I had of my parents and siblings were pictures, and I couldn't exactly carry those around with me.

I felt as though I missed them more than ever these days. The announcement of the Elite hadn't been all that long ago, yet it felt like everything had changed. I was starting to realize just how long I'd been away from my family and the farm, and it wasn't a good feeling.

I missed riding Duke in the fields. I missed dance parties with my sisters. I missed cooking with mom in the kitchen. I missed working in the barn with dad. Heck, I even missed fighting with my brothers. And it wasn't that I hated the palace - quite the opposite actually. It just wasn't my home and I felt myself remembering that even more each day.

More than likely, I wouldn't see my family for over a month. We were entering October and, as far as I knew, families wouldn't be invited to visit until Christmas. I had hopes that I would make it that far, but I wouldn't know until then.

I took a sip from my tea, cringing as it reached my lips. I'd left it sitting and it had gotten cold. But before I could call a maid over, the doors to the Women's Room opened and Celia walked in.

"Ladies! Please follow me to the Great Room for an announcement." she announced. "The other girls are already on their way."

We all stood up at once, abandoning what we were doing. Out of habit, we fell into a quiet line behind Celia and followed her to the Great Room.

We made our way into the large room, taking our seats at the remaining table. As I walked into the room, I saw James, who was standing guard by the door. He gave me a quick wink and a knowing smile as I walked inside. I stared at him, confused, but made my way to an empty seat. The other girls filed in after us, Liana taking the seat beside me.

"Ladies, the King and Queen have asked me to make a quick announcement," Celia stepped to the front of the room, clearing her throat as she went. "In two weeks, the Italian Royal family will be coming to visit. The Italians are close friends of the King and Queen, so we expect you to be on your best behavior. Anything out of line and you will be out of here faster than you can say ciao."

I heard a few gasps and saw some of the girls' faces go red at the mention of the Italian family. What was so important about the Italian Royal family?

I turned to look at Liana. "Know what all that is about?"

She shrugged, watching as Celia left the room. "No idea. I've never seen the Italians before."

"Neither have I." I frowned as I watched the other girls leave quickly, gossiping in hushed whispers.

"Whatever. Let them gossip." Liana rolled her eyes as she stood up. "We'll find out when they get here."

I nodded as I stood up, but I couldn't help but disagree. I had a feeling we'd find out exactly what the girls knew.

And somehow, I was sure that whatever it was, it was important.
   _________________________
First chapter of Another Elite! I am so sorry that this took so long and that it was so short. I started school two weeks ago, and I run cross country so it's been a stressful couple of weeks. My school also had some pretty devastating news this past week, I won't share details, but it was pretty upsetting. I haven't had any time to write (hence why this took so long) but I will try my best to get chapters out. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this! Please comment and vote, xoxo.