Chapter 57: Silence

Start from the beginning

'Are you alright?' Mark sounded concerned as he had spotted the change in Keira's behaviour.

While plastering a smile back on her face she looked back up to him. 'I'm fine, just tired from the long flight. I'm not used to those yet,' she answered trying to sound cheerful.

'I'm doing these flights for over half my life and I'm still not used to it,' Mark let out a puff of breath and sounded more tired than before.

At that moment Keira heard someone shout her name and when she turned around she spotted a beaming Macy running into her direction. That caused the first genuine smile of the day and she hugged Macy back when she had wrapped her arms around her neck.

'Hi Mark,' Macy greeted the Australian when she let go of Keira. They also hugged and despite Macy being from Seb's side of the garage, they seemed to go on pretty well.

'She used to be on my side of the garage,' Mark explained when he spotted the quizzical look on Keira's face. 'She's a bit of a traitor, aren't you?' he nudged Macy while grinning.

Macy scoffed in reply and pushed him away. 'At least Seb's a gentleman,' she shot back at him. That resulted in an angry glare from Mark. Macy didn't seem to notice or didn't care at least, she picked up her bags again and turned back to Keira. 'Are you coming? The others already went to the van, so we should hurry.'

'Are you also coming?' Keira asked Mark who was now looking his happy self again.

Macy let out a laugh. 'No, he's got his own driver. He doesn't want to be seen with us plebs,' she grinned while ignoring Mark's words of disagreement. She blew Mark a kiss and turned around towards the exit.

Mark was shaking his head again. 'Don't listen to her. She may be small, but she's evil,' he chuckled and he scratched his neck.

'I'll see you around then,' Keira was just able to say goodbye and wave before she was dragged away by Macy.

----------

There he was, standing in the Red Bull garage, as handsome as ever. Keira considered turning around and leave the garage quickly before being noticed by him. However before she could decide a pair of blue eyes had noticed her presence in the garage. Even from this distance she could see the sadness hiding in those and it felt like being kicked in the stomach. The urge to walk up to him and wrap her arms around him suddenly occurred and she had to remind herself that he had a girlfriend to stop herself. That sweet blonde girl who was always so nice to her when she worked in the cafe. She couldn't get that image out of her mind and broke the eye contact she still had with Seb.

She was glad that at that moment Rocky came up to her and she quickly had forgotten about Seb, because there were a lot of things that needed her undivided attention. She was not going to let Seb interfere with her job and she wanted to show Rocky that she was as dedicated as they all expected from her. She didn't notice the hours going by until the sun started to disappear and cover the track in the most beautiful sunset. After she had finished up she quickly said goodbye to everyone in the garage and gathered her stuff so she could go back to the hotel. She decided to take one last look at the track before the cars would break the silence the next day.

When she left the garage she felt the last rays of sunlight illuminating her skin and with a satisfied smile she made her way over to the pit wall. She put her bag down on the ground and tried to find the spot where she would have the best view on the track. The track was deserted, unlike a few hours back when everybody was doing their track walk. She followed the vast asphalt with her eyes and imagined the cars flicking past at immense speeds. It helped her to clear her thoughts and it gave her an opportunity to appreciate how much she loved to be part of the Formula 1 world. Only a few people where still walking around and nobody really paid her much attention.