Chapter 21: Cake

In the end they made it out of the supermarket with all the right ingredients for the cake. The staff hadn't been too pleased about their problems with the eggs, but after apologising profusely they had been less angry. They had been giggling like little schoolgirls when they left the shop and had discussed the matter on their way home. At the moment they were standing in the kitchen and Sebastian had just burnt the chocolate. He had been too busy eating the stuff that he was less interested in actually melting the chocolate.

'I don't think it's supposed to look like this,' he pouted. He stirred the chocolate half-heartedly and the black pieces looked like charcoal. He put a piece into his mouth and screwed up his face. 'I don't think it's supposed to taste like this either.'

Keira rolled her eyes and pulled the pot out of his hands. 'Let's start again. Let me do the chocolate this time,' she said sounding annoyed. She had foreseen this problem and therefore had bought extra of everything, she was glad that her gut feeling had not let her down.

'I think that's wise,' he said, 'but I tried, honestly!' He licked his fingers and looked at her with excitement on his face.

She grinned, she had never seen someone so happy when he just had screwed up. 'Here, you can mix the butter and the sugars,' she put the right ingredients, a bowl and the mixer in front of him. 'Do you know how to use a mixer?'

'I don't think so, but it can't be that hard, right?' he said cautiously.

'Just don't put it on the highest setting when you begin mixing. Start slowly and gradually increase the speed, that will keep the kitchen from looking like there has been an explosion,' she smirked.

'Got it,' he said and he plugged in the mixer. 'Let's make you proud!'

'You think I'll be proud of you when you mix butter and sugar?' she raised an eyebrow and her mouth twitched.

'Yes?' he said with a broad smile.

'OK then, but only because it's you,' she grinned. She kept one eye on the chocolate to make sure she didn't burn it either, because that would make her look like an idiot. The smile he had just given her made it a bit harder to concentrate, because her knees were getting weak and she couldn't stop staring at him.

'You like me?' he winked and he put his hands on his hips.

She felt her cheeks burn and quickly focused her attention on the pot. 'If I didn't like you, I would ask you why you were in my kitchen,' she replied trying to sound normal. It was time to get a grip on herself, this wasn't normal. He definitely was very handsome, but she shouldn't lose her head over him. They were friends, if she could call it that already, and that's how it was going to stay. She had promised herself no more guys after David, or at least for a couple of years.

'Fair point,' he answered. He was leaning against the kitchen counter and his muscles were visible under his shirt. He was holding the mixer in front of his face and he was studying it intently. Then he tried to turn it on and off, repeating that several times as he clearly was enjoying it.

'Are you trying to break it?' she said while watching him play with the mixer.

'Yes,' he smiled innocently, 'or is that the incorrect answer?'

'Just start already, otherwise there'll be no cake.'

'That sounds bad.'

'So it's up to you,' she grinned. His face had looked upset when she mentioned no cake, that boy clearly doesn't eat enough cake.

'Look, I'm mixing and I haven't messed up yet!' he yelled cheerfully, clearly proud of his achievements. He was focusing really hard on the simple task and his tongue stuck out a little as a sign of concentration.